• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

tense structures -is either possible?

Hello,

I'm wondering if there's more than one correct version of the tense structures in the sentences below. I have copied them from Murphy's grammar and written my versions (commenting them in brackets). I'm very interested to find out if they sound fine to a native speaker's ears.

(1) Yesterday Sarah went to the station to meet Paul. When she got there, he was already waiting for her. - Murphy

....he had already been waiting for her (there's a picture of him sitting on the bench, looking bored and tired; a fair amount of time has presumably passed since his train arrived)

(2) Last night I had just gone to bed and was reading a book when I heard a noise. - Murphy

Last night I just went to bed and was reading a book.... (is there a need to show the prior action of going to bed?)

(3) Standing in the queue at the check-in desk, Lisa realized she had forgotten her passport at home. Luckily, she had time to take a taxi home to get it. She had got back to the airport just in time for her flight. - Murphy

...She got back to the airport just in time (a succession of actions)

Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: tense structures -is either possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Verona_82 View Post
    Hello,

I'm wondering if there's more than one correct version of the tense structures in the sentences below. I have copied them from Murphy's grammar and written my versions (commenting them in brackets). I'm very interested to find out if they sound fine to a native speaker's ears.

(1) Yesterday Sarah went to the station to meet Paul. When she got there, he was already waiting for her. - Murphy

....he had already been waiting for her (there's a picture of him sitting on the bench, looking bored and tired; a fair amount of time has presumably passed since his train arrived) If you use the past perfect continuous it sounds like he is no longer waiting.

(2) Last night I had just gone to bed and was reading a book when I heard a noise. - Murphy

Last night I just went to bed and was reading a book.... (is there a need to show the prior action of going to bed?) Presumably you started reading after going to bed, not at the same time, "had just gone" is correct.

(3) Standing in the queue at the check-in desk, Lisa realized she had forgotten her passport at home. Luckily, she had time to take a taxi home to get it. She had got back to the airport just in time for her flight. - Murphy

...She got back to the airport just in time (a succession of actions) On the face of it "She got back..." seems to be better. Which Murphy is it?

Thank you!
    Bhai.