Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What is the meaning and usage of For crying out loud?

Thanks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's an expression of annoyance/exasperation.

K

Ksenia

Hello!
This means something that you say to show you are angry/surprised/annoyed, and to emphasize what you are saying informal.
E.g.: Oh, for crying out loud, why won't you listen to me!
Also it means "For Christ's sake".

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
<snip>
Also it means "For Christ's sake".
I am not a teacher.

Right. It is a euphemism for that. The first part of "for crying out loud"---"for cr..."---is the same as the first part of "for christ's sake". The speaker is supposed to have started to blaspheme and changed his mind, smoothly going over to a bland utterance.

Ju

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I am not a teacher.

Right. It is a euphemism for that. The first part of "for crying out loud"---"for cr..."---is the same as the first part of "for christ's sake". The speaker is supposed to have started to blaspheme and changed his mind, smoothly going over to a bland utterance.

Thanks to all.

But I still don't get it as Ksyuk said it's to emphasize what we are saying informal while Coolfootluke said it's euphemism.

Is it the same as My god, Oh gosh, Jesus?

Thanks.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks to all.

But I still don't get it as Ksyuk said it's to emphasize what we are saying informal while Coolfootluke said it's euphemism.

Is it the same as My god, Oh gosh, Jesus?

Thanks.
I am not a teacher.

Ksyuk got it a little bit wrong, I think. "For crying out loud" expresses, as Barb_D said, annoyance or exasperation. So does "For Christ's sake", but we use the euphemism to avoid offending God.

K

Ksenia

I am not a teacher.

Ksyuk got it a little bit wrong, I think. "For crying out loud" expresses, as Barb_D said, annoyance or exasperation. So does "For Christ's sake", but we use the euphemism to avoid offending God.

I'm totally agree that we shiold avoid offending God!
Thank you for your notation!

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you research the etymology of the various exclamations of exasperation, you'll find that the majority of them were in one way or another a euphemism coined in order to avoid using God or the Lord's name in vain. In fact, the tradition of substituting more palatable phrases in lieu of objectionable words is so common that it has its own name: a minced oath. Thus we often say "Oh geez" instead of "Oh Jesus" and "Gadzooks" instead of "by God's hooks" and "what the Sam Hill" instead of "what the Hell."

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's right. My favourite is 'For crying in a bucket!' Also there are 'Shivers', 'Sugar' and 'Flaming Heck', none of which I'm going to explain...:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.