Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I have found the sentence"All this time his hands was busy hurriedly putting on his clothes."for the first time.In this sentence "all the time" is used in past tense.
I 've ever found the sentence like"Where have you been all the time?"(present perfect tense).
What dose "all the time"(in past tence) mean?

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Last edited:

yuyu0615

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for your reply.Does "all the time" have the same meaning as"all this time"?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have found the sentence"All this time his hands was busy hurriedly putting on his clothes."for the first time.In this sentence "all the time" is used in past tense.
I 've ever found the sentence like"Where have you been all the time?"(present perfect tense).
What dose "all the time"(in past tence) mean?
I am not a teacher.

"All this time" is not really past tense for "all the time", but I see what you mean.

"All the time" means "constantly", often figuratively. From the movie The Sixth Sense:
COLE has said that he sees dead people.
MALCOLM: How often do you see them?
COLE: All the time. They're everywhere. ....
He doesn't mean every second, he means very often in every day.

"All this time" is the same as "all the while" or "during the same time"; "this" is idiomatic here. "Thanks for the Valentine's Day poem. And all this time I thought you didn't like me."

You can also say "all that time", meaning "during that time in the past", and "that" is literal: "Jason spent the summer clearing stumps from the field, and all that time he was missing Rebecca."

Status
Not open for further replies.