Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,
I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me with this issue. I'm sort of involved in a research about the deaf and language. I've already heard of American Sign Language, and I've found some related sources. I'm looking for more theories and academic works in this field. Could you please tell me where I can find more? Besides, is there any organisation in the UK dealing with this and related issues?

Thanks in advance.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you google British Sign Language you'll find loads of links.

Rover

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Almost every country has its own version of Sign Language, but nevertheless there are enough similarities within certain SLs that enable Deaf people of other nationalities to understand them.

For example, French Sign Language is very similar to Italian Sign Language, American Sign Language, Spanish Sign Language and Mexican Sign Language. There are enough similarities in signs that, for example, Deaf Americans could read enough French signs to understand the "speaker." Likewise, British Sign Language is similar to that used in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

This website is a good starting place to learn about the various signed languages.

P.S. Just a quick trivia fact: Did you know that American Sign Language is the third most widely used language in the United States (after English and Spanish)? :)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And another: when I was doing my teacher training 5 or 6 years ago I kept track of a lot of stuff about Modern Foreign Languages. In a survey carried out by - I think - CILT (CILT, the National Centre for Languages ) it was reported that the 4th most popular language in evening classes was BSL.

b

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks to all dear posters! :)

Do these associations provide any theoritical background for their systems of communication?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.