Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. vectra's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Jun 2005
    • Posts: 288
    #1

    Mersedes Benz S550 AMG plus full complete

    Hello,

    The following is the line from one of my students' home assignment:
    'On the 1-th September I ordered Mersedes Benz S550 AMG plus full complete from your company.'
    Let us skip the way he wrote the date. What he wanted to express is that he ordered a car with all the frills or whistle and bells. But these are informal expressions. What would be an appropriate expression to describe a supercharged car?

    Thank you in advance.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #2

    Re: Mersedes Benz S550 AMG plus full complete

    Quote Originally Posted by vectra View Post
    Hello,

    The following is the line from one of my students' home assignment:
    'On the 1-th September I ordered Mersedes Benz S550 AMG plus full complete from your company.'
    Let us skip the way he wrote the date. What he wanted to express is that he ordered a car with all the frills or whistle and bells. But these are informal expressions. What would be an appropriate expression to describe a supercharged car?

    Thank you in advance.
    "With all the options".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 248
    #3

    Re: Mersedes Benz S550 AMG plus full complete

    I'm somewhat of a car-buff so I would have said "...I ordered the AMG S550 FULLY LOADED from your company..."

    We (United States) say "fully loaded" to mean with all options or as you said with "all the bells and whistles". Note, we never reverse that expression (whistles and bells)

    Not a teacher

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: Mersedes Benz S550 AMG plus full complete

    Quote Originally Posted by allenman View Post
    I'm somewhat of a car-buff so I would have said "...I ordered the AMG S550 FULLY LOADED from your company..."

    We (United States) say "fully loaded" to mean with all options or as you said with "all the bells and whistles". Note, we never reverse that expression (whistles and bells)

    Not a teacher
    This looks like another one for the US/Br list. 'Fully loaded' is the sort of adjective we'd use to describe a sandwich.

    b

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #5

    Re: Mersedes Benz S550 AMG plus full complete

    PS vectra: in spite of the pronuniciation, the spelling is 'MerCedes'. The 'c' does represent a /k/ in the informal short form /mɜ:k/.

    (Etymologically, the name 'Mercedes' is related to our 'mercy'.)

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #6

    Re: Mersedes Benz S550 AMG plus full complete

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    This looks like another one for the US/Br list. 'Fully loaded' is the sort of adjective we'd use to describe a sandwich.

    b
    Or a pizza. But, yes, it works for a car, too.

  5. vectra's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Jun 2005
    • Posts: 288
    #7

    Re: Mersedes Benz S550 AMG plus full complete

    Hello,

    Thank you again for your replies.
    As for the word 'supercharged', it is a slip of the tongue on my part, just like the reverse order in the expression 'bells and whistles'. I do understand, and you correctly pointed that out, a supercharged car is a car with a souped-up or beefed-up engine. I was just fumbling for words at the moment I was composing the post.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] Mr, Mrs and St - Full stop or no full stop in British English
    By Paulovatt in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2010, 05:55
  2. [General] permanent full time position/temporary full time position
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2009, 22:37
  3. full-->in full bridal gown
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-Aug-2008, 13:17
  4. complete
    By Hanka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Aug-2007, 23:55
  5. Full/entire/complete
    By Shad in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-Nov-2006, 03:18

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •