Canadian certification-internationally recognized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
hi

I'm curious about how Canadian certification is viewed internationally. Does the organization granting the certificate matter or is it based more on curriculum + teaching hours ?

For instance we have Tesl Canada which is around 150hr course including 25hrs for observation & teaching.

Tesl Ontario (required to teach in gov't funded programs here) is a 300hr course with 50hrs of observation & teaching.
University degree required for both.

So, has anyone even heard of Tesl Ontario, is it internationally recognized?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I hadn't heard of TESL Ontario until I saw you post. However, when I was looking for teachers, I would have been very happy indeed to receive an application from anybody who had attended a 300-hour course with 50 hours of observation and teaching.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Courses that have national/government recognition should be accepted almost anywhere. They're not the problem; courses that have dubious, little or self-recognition are less likely to be welcomed. And, as Fivejedjon says, a 300-hour course with a lot of teaching practice is likely to impress many.

petit_minou

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Reputable international schools and agencies should accept TESL Ontario certification. Many employers assume that Canadian teachers have TESL Canada certification however a brief explanation of the rigorous requirements (even more hours than TESL Canada Level II) should be sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.