[Idiom] "flannel"...unnecessary words...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
When we ask somebody to leave out the flannel that's because they're talking a lot to dodge what we expect them to tell us (the answer to a question, the truth, etc.). Can flannel be used as a verb, or is there any idiom meaning the same?
Can 'beat about the bush' be used in this case?

Cheers!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,
When we ask somebody to leave out the flannel that's because they're talking a lot to dodge what we expect them to tell us (the answer to a question, the truth, etc.). Can flannel be used as a verb, or is there any idiom meaning the same?
Can 'beat about the bush' be used in this case?

Cheers!
Yes, "to flannel", meaning to talk a lot around a subject without getting to the point, is a verb. It's meaning is similar to "to beat about the bush" but I see it as using soft persuasive language in particular. (That may simply be because of my mentally associating it with flannel fabric).

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, "to flannel", meaning to talk a lot around a subject without getting to the point, is a verb. It's meaning is similar to "to beat about the bush" but I see it as using soft persuasive language in particular. (That may simply be because of my mentally associating it with flannel fabric).

Thanks a lot. I used to think that one would flannel because they don't want to say something (out of fear, embarrassment, etc.), while they would 'beat about the bush' when they don't know how to put it, or just don't stick to the point. In other words, one may (sometimes) beat about the bush unconsciously. Is that right?

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
I know you've already got your answer but I thought I'd share some info since the word 'flannel' caught my attention once, too. Here's the context for it (it's from a British comedy show called "Keeping up appearances"),

Daisy: Onslow?
Onslow: Hmm?
D: What's limpid?
O: What?!
D: What's limpid? As in, "he gazed into her limpid eyes." L-I-M-P-I-D. Limpid eyes. That's what it says here.
O: Almost certainly a disease of the retina.Little scabs on the retina. You get it from reading too many library books and ignoring close relatives who are dying for a cup of tea.
D: You made all that up, didn't you?
O:You say that to me, a regular viewer of "the open university"?
D: You're full of flannel, Onslow.
O: Ah, yes, but educated flannel. Flannel up to degree standard.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I know you've already got your answer but I thought I'd share some info since the word 'flannel' caught my attention once, too. Here's the context for it (it's from a British comedy show called "Keeping up appearances"),

Daisy: Onslow?
Onslow: Hmm?
D: What's limpid?
O: What?!
D: What's limpid? As in, "he gazed into her limpid eyes." L-I-M-P-I-D. Limpid eyes. That's what it says here.
O: Almost certainly a disease of the retina.Little scabs on the retina. You get it from reading too many library books and ignoring close relatives who are dying for a cup of tea.
D: You made all that up, didn't you?
O:You say that to me, a regular viewer of "the open university"?
D: You're full of flannel, Onslow.
O: Ah, yes, but educated flannel. Flannel up to degree standard.

Thank you dear nyota! Very interesting! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.