Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Mostly, when we reach out to somebody we'd like to offer help or smething like that. What does reach out to something mean? Does it mean to go for/think of something for help? (Sort of the oppsite of reach out to somebody?)

Thanks a lot.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What does reach out to something mean? Does it mean to go for/think of something for help? (Sort of the oppsite of reach out to somebody?)
We normally reach (out/up/down) for something - stretch out our hand to touch it or pick it up. We do this because we need it, but there is not necessarily any real idea of 'help'.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
We normally reach (out/up/down) for something - stretch out our hand to touch it or pick it up. We do this because we need it, but there is not necessarily any real idea of 'help'.​

Thank you so much dear fivejedjon,
Here is the example from which I got the idea it'd mean to help:
She set up her charity to reach out to the thousands of homeless on the streets.

And this is the context in which reach out for something is given:

'Through the history of mankind, at certain times in life, we’ve had a human need to reach out to something greater than us, a need to put into words that which we cannot understand.'

Could you please tell me what the underlined section means?
Ta!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
And this is the context in which reach out for something is given:

'Through the history of mankind, at certain times in life, we’ve had a human need to reach out to something greater than us, a need to put into words that which we cannot understand.'!
In this sentence 'reach out to' has the meaning that you suggested in your first post. I had not thought of this use. I think it applies only to sentient beings; in your sentence, something greater than us could imply a deity.

Let's see what others think.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could reach out to a company in trouble, though that does involve sentient beings.

karan_ck

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everyone, I want to know "reach out to sth" in this sentence: "I research online and reach out to my personal network for recommendations on the best resources for improving that discipline or skill" is means???
I need it for my lesson.
Thanks so much if you can help me.

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
not teacher

It does generally mean to offer aid, or to reach out for it yourself, as in that example. You can reach out to God, or to a spirit, or a friend, it means to seek something in very personal sense, - as well as the obvious 'reaching out to pick up a pencil.'
An alcoholic can reach out for help - it doesn't mean he holds out his hand for spare change, it means he is looking for assistance from anyone who will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.