• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

At colleges: clubs? circles?

Could you please tell me what word is to be used when you describe a place (club? circle? general term?) which schoolchildren or college students attend to do extra curricular activities.
    In Russian there is a very widely used word to describe this place in general terms - "a section" ("sektsia"). It can be a sport section, e.g. a swimming "section", a karate "section" etc. or a "circle" some other one like a circle of modelling or sawing. Are there such "sections" or "circles" in England or the USA and how are they called by natives?

I guess, the word team does not exactly describe this kind of acivity (in sport), because itis associated with professional training more, in my opinion. If you are in a team, you participate in competitions etc and going to become a professional. But there are also sort of amateur "clubs" which you attend regulary, but more for fun, than as a would-be professional.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: At colleges: clubs? circles?

I don't think there is one general term.

With my offspring, we just used to speak of the thing itself - judo, gymnastics, drama, for example - or to 'activities'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    I don't think there is one general term.

With my offspring, we just used to speak of the thing itself - judo, gymnastics, drama, for example - or to 'activities'.
    But sometimes one needs a general term. Supposing you need to write an article or advertisement about extracurricular activities in your college where you inform the reader about lots of what? at your college that students can attend? One cannot "attend an acivity" or one can? How would you finish this sentence:
    "Students can attend various ........... where they can do sports and other activities".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by english-help.okis.ru View Post
    But sometimes one needs a general term. Supposing you need to write an article or advertisement about extracurricular activities in your college where you inform the reader about lots of what? at your college that students can attend? One cannot "attend an acivity" or one can? How would you finish this sentence:
    "Students can attend various ........... where they can do sports and other activities".
    Someone else may come up with a term, but we don't 'need' one. You answered your first question yourself - if you want to inform your readers about extra-curricular activities, you write about "extra-curricular activities". It's not so hard.

Students can take part in a variety of sports and leisure activities (including martial arts, drama, chess, debating,....).