Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can you tell the difference among the four?

1. I wish you would be quiet.- Is it you are not going to be quiet, so I'm hoping an improbable thing?
2. I hope you will be quiet.- There's some chance that you are going to be quiet. So I'm hoping it. Is it correct?
3. I wish you were quiet - Now you are not quiet, so I dream of the state that you are quiet now.
4. I hope you are quiet.- Now you have the chance to be quiet, so I'm hoping it?

I'd like to know if my interpretations of the four are all correct, especially in 1 and 2.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am afraid that I disagree with Gillnetter. In my opinion, 'hope' and 'wish' do not have about the same meaning,
Can you tell the difference among the four? It is always the difference between things, even when there are more than two.

1. I wish you would be quiet. This is is a present wish for present, general, or immediate future quiet; context will tell us which is the case. The speaker is almost certainly a little annoyed/impatient and,as you suggest, there is no real indication that the person addressed will be quiet. Indeed, if the speaker is talking about a general, ongoing situation, then s/he is wishing for an unreal situation.

2. I hope you will be quiet.- There's some chance that you are going to be quiet. So I'm hoping it. Is it correct? Yes. This is a present hope for future (achievable) quiet
3. I wish you were quiet - Now you are not quiet, so I dream of the state that you are quiet now. Correct.
4. I hope you are quiet.- Now you have the chance to be quiet, so I'm hoping it? Roughly. There is very little practical difference between #4 and #2.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I am afraid that I disagree with Gillnetter. In my opinion, 'hope' and 'wish' do not have about the same meaning,5

Thank you so much for your kind explanation, and I'm really glad I roughly got all of them right, and I owe my development definitely to the great master or savior, You.:-D
It is always the difference between things, even when there are more than two.
But for this, I've always learned between is for two things, while among is for more than two things, but my presumption of your answer is probably

"You can use among for somthing more than two to be located spatially, but not for comparison of the things"

I hope my guess is correct.:oops:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But for this, I've always learned between is for two things, while among is for more than two things, but my presumption of your answer is probably:

"You can use among for something more than two to be located spatially, but not for comparison of the things"

I hope my guess is correct.:oops:
Close.

Michael Swan has this to say:

"We say that something is between two people, things or groups of things. [...]

We usually say that somebody or something is between several clearly separate people or things. We prefer among when somebody or something is in a group, a crowd or a mass of people or things which we do not see separately. Compare

Our house is between the woods, the river and the village.
His house is hidden among the trees.[...]

Among is common before a singular (uncountable) noun. He found an envekope full of money among all the rubbish.

We talk about dividing or sharing things between or among more than two people or groups. [...]

We normally use between after difference."

Swan, Michael (2005), Practical English Usage (3rd edn), Oxford: OUP

Status
Not open for further replies.