Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Belarus
Hello to everybody!
Could you please explain what's the difference between these two terms - Economics and Economy. I have to translate some information about my university into English but I've been troubled by the name of the department. What's the most acceptable one - The Department of Management and Economy of Nature Use or The Department of Management and Economics of Nature Use?
Thank you!

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
An economy is the system of production and exchange of goods and services of a group of people. Economics is the study of economies.

Can you explain more what the department does?

ArthurP

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Belarus
The department works on management and economics of the environment. But formally it's named as The Department of Management and Economy of Nature Use (at least on the Website). When speaking about Nature Use I mean the process of consuming and utilizing nature resourses in order to produce something. Will you recоmmend the term Economy to be replaced by the term Economics? And what about Nature Use. Should I've written just Environment instead of it?

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
It sounds like you are talking about natural resource economics. How about “The Department of Environmental and Natural Resource Economics”? If you do a Google search, you will find other departments with that name.

ArthurP

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Belarus
Thanks! I'll consider your advices.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks! I'll consider your advices.

Note: Advice is not countable. You can receive several pieces of advice or bit of advice, or some advice or a lot of advice, but not a countable number of advices.

ArthurP

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Belarus
Thank you for reminding, Barb_D!

Status
Not open for further replies.