Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"The event will be advertised in various media, such as the Internet, flyers and posters."

Are the Internet, flyers, and posters media? Also, I think "via various media" is better. What do you think?

Thanks!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It depends- I wouldn't include billboards and flyers in the media, but we do say advertising medium, which could be what they mean here. I think in is OK, but how about through?

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
It depends- I wouldn't include billboards and flyers in the media, but we do say advertising medium, which could be what they mean here. I think in is OK, but how about through?

Yes, I also thought only the Internet would be considered a medium. The other two are just means of advertisement.

"The event will be advertised in various media, such as the Internet, as well as on flyers and posters."

That sounds better.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I also thought only the Internet would be considered a medium. The other two are just means of advertisement.

"The event will be advertised in various media, such as the Internet, as well as on flyers and posters."

That sounds better.

To me, it sounds like you are trying too hard to maintain some distinction between what is and is not a "medium." If your target audience is normal people, this will sound strange. As noted, they are all considered advertising media.

Why not just say "advertised in various ways, including..."?

Status
Not open for further replies.