English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
First, you may say either

Paul passed away yesterday. OR
Paul died yesterday.

Can I use 'First' and in the rest of the passage, I do not use 'Second' or 'Third', etc.

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Not normally.

Can you give us a bit more of the passage?

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Not normally.

Can you give us a bit more of the passage?
Thanks, Fivejedjon.

What I have written is my own creation. Just wonder if I continue writing the passage, I need to use 'Second' or 'Secondly', etc.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We normally use 'first(ly)' only if we are going to it with 'second(ly)', or at least '(and) then'.

In practice, in conversation, we sometimes forget that we have used 'first', and continue with no 'second'. The listener often doesn't notice.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
We normally use 'first(ly)' only if we are going to it with 'second(ly)', or at least '(and) then'.

In practice, in conversation, we sometimes forget that we have used 'first', and continue with no 'second'. The listener often doesn't notice.

Thanks, Fivejedjon.

I can use "First(ly) and after writing what I have to write. I can use "Then" for the next paragraph. Is my analysis correct?

Sorry for asking you again.

Thanks.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I can use "First(ly) and after writing what I have to write, I can use "Then" for the next paragraph. Is my analysis correct?
You can, but in writing I would recommend 'second(ly). When they have the written word in front of them, people have the chance to look back and notice that a 'first(ly)' has not been followed up by the expected 'second(ly).

If you begin with 'first of all', there is no problem.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
You can, but in writing I would recommend 'second(ly). When they have the written word in front of them, people have the chance to look back and notice that a 'first(ly)' has not been followed up by the expected 'second(ly).

If you begin with 'first of all', there is no problem.

Thanks, Fivejedjon.

If I use 'First of all', I need not bother about 'Secondly', etc. Just to confirm that I am correct.

Sorry again for taking up your time.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks, Fivejedjon.

I can use "First(ly) and after writing what I have to write, I can use "Then" for the next paragraph. Is my analysis correct?

Sorry for asking you again.

Thanks.
I am not a teacher, nor am I Fivejedjon.

It is seldom good to use "first(ly)", "second(ly)", etc. There are usually more elegant and meaningful ways to move things along. When it is appropriate, you should stay with it once you've started it, calling the final one "last(ly)". As for the "-ly", it's a matter of taste, but be aware that "first", "second" and the rest are adverbs already if you want and do not need the suffix to make them so. Pick one form or the other---do not mix them in the same piece.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If I use 'First of all', I need not bother about 'Secondly', etc. Just to confirm that I am correct.
Yes - at least that is my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.