Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does recession mean "hard time" or whatever? The dictionary definition displays something not proper for this. It's hard to find a proper one.

ex)"Play enourages taking reasonable risks." he says " It allows you to be flexible and creative". The search for novelty and the desire for something fresh is a hallmark of the state of play. And of course novelty and freshness are also central to creativity. At the very least then we should equip the next generation for the inevitable recessions of the future by encouraging water fights and inviting imaginary friends to join in."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
ex)"Play enourages taking reasonable risks." he says " It allows you to be flexible and creative". The search for novelty and the desire for something fresh is a hallmark of the state of play. And of course novelty and freshness are also central to creativity. At the very least then we should equip the next generation for the inevitable recessions of the future by encouraging water fights and inviting imaginary friends to join in."
It means 'times of economic downturn'. In such times, an ability to be flexible and creative is beneficial.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It means 'times of economic downturn'. In such times, an ability to be flexible and creative is beneficial.

Does it only mean "economic downturn" that I'm also familiar with?
It seems to mean "tough time" or something, and economic downturn doesn't seem to generalize the situation. I don't know, but when they're having a hard time, they would be playing fun things mentioned, so if it's restricted to only economt-related time, it seems kind of restricted.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does it only mean "economic downturn" that I'm also familiar with?
It seems to mean "tough time" or something, and economic downturn doesn't seem to generalize the situation. I don't know, but when they're having a hard time, they would be playing fun things mentioned, so if it's restricted to only economt-related time, it seems kind of restricted.
I am not a teacher.

It does seem to be the way you say, but it is not. I found the blog that your excerpt is from, and the writer meant literally "economic downturn". He was using the incongruity between water fights and macroeconomics to underline his point about the value of play.

Reactions: 5jj

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Isn't it that children who have been encouraged to take reasonable risks (water fights) and be creative (imaginary friends) will be better equipped in later life to deal with economic recession when it hits them?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I am not a teacher.

It does seem to be the way you say, but it is not. I found the blog that your excerpt is from, and the writer meant literally "economic downturn". He was using the incongruity between water fights and macroeconomics to underline his point about the value of play.

Thank you so much, but could you let me know the blog you found? I mean the blog link.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.