Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi,
I know that if you are queuing, the person who will be served before you is "in front of you" and you can see his/her back;
1) But what if you are talking with a person and she/he is looking into your eyes.........is he/she opposite you? ( this time you are not looking at her back....)

2) If you are sitting at a table and you are talking with a person sitting ina place where your faces are looking towards each other ? is the person opposite you?

3) and what about a teacher explaining before her/his class? can we say that she is in front of or opposite the students ( they are not looking at her back like in a queue and so I think we should say opposite, if the example of the queue is ok).

4) And waht about two buildings. In both cases they are separated by a road but:
case A: the entrances of the two buildings look at each other (are the buildings opposite?)
case B: the entrance of one of the building looks at the back of the other building ( are the building in front of each other, because they are located in a sort of queue?)

Thanks
Rip:roll:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. You are face to face

2. Yes.

3. The teacher is in front of the class.

4. A. The entrances are opposite each other or across the road from each other.

B. The entrance of the first overlooks the rear of the other.

Rover

ripley

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
1. You are face to face

2. Yes.

3. The teacher is in front of the class.

4. A. The entrances are opposite each other or across the road from each other.

B. The entrance of the first overlooks the rear of the other.

Rover
Thanks for your help, but I need to know when it is right to use "opposite" and when it is not.....
Rip

Status
Not open for further replies.