• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

mean,loyal

Sammy is a boss but she's lazy and turned all the workload to her assistants and expected them would do a wonderful job so she could show off to other co-workers.

1) I would like to specify her charactor and working attitude. Is mean the best word. Are there any other words to describe Sammy.

2) Sammy's assistants knew about Sammy's attitude but still working very hard. Shall I say them loyal or any other words to describe them?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: mean,loyal

Sammy is a boss but she's lazy and turned all the workload over to her assistants and expected them to do a wonderful job so she could show off to other co-workers.
    1) I would like to specify her charactor and working attitude. Is mean the best word? Are there any other words to describe Sammy?
    2) Sammy's assistants knew about Sammy's attitude but still worked very hard. Shall I call them loyal or are there any other words to describe them
    ?

Ju.
    1) Sammy's behaviour towards her staff is certainly "mean", but because her meanness takes the form of a scheme using the skills of her staff to unscrupulously improve her own image, the term "manipulative" might be more descriptive. On the evidence you give us she appears to be both.
    2) This is just my opinion, but in a workplace situation I would normally describe loyalty as being given to a boss who you respect. In the case you describe I feel that Sammy's assistants probably don't respect her and yet they go along with her methods. They could still be said to be "loyal" to the company by doing a "wonderful job", but towards Sammy herself, perhaps they are merely being "compliant" or "obedient". Of course, if they fear their jobs are at stake then their compliance may be "prudent" and "sensible".

not a teacher