1. Rok Vermont

Help!

Please, help!

Thanks in advance!

1. What does 'raids upon the composers' mean? (The music wisely catering to all with its raids upon the composers.)

2. What doen 'in a table d' hote grape fruit' mean? (He took the great, round world in his hand, so to speak, familiarly, contemptously, and it seemed no larger then the seed of a Maraschino cherry in a table d' hote grape fruit.)

3. What is meaning of this sentence? Expression on this subject was precipitated from E. Rushmore Colgan by the third corner to our table.

4.What does 'object-bound' mean? (I've meet good many object-bound citizens of this country abroad.)

5. What does 'lake fish' mean? (...they stammer and speak of lake fish and new Odd Fellows Building.)

Re: Help!

2. What doen 'in a table d' hote grape fruit' mean?
    "grapefruit" is a fruit, a breakfast item, and "table d'hote" is a full-course meal.

Click here to read about table d'hote.

Click http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/grapefruit.html to see a photo (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I love O.Henry, but stop reading him!

Or, read him only to understand the large story... if you try to understand all the small details, your learning will be sooooooooooo slow... and most of his idioms are no longer used... almost none of them. So you will be doing a lot of work to understand references that are no longer understood.

A Municipal Report is a wonderful story, with a wonderful surprise ending... but I suggest reading it just for the larger story, not to understand all of his references. And Nashville today bears little resemblence of the Nashville of the story.

BUT... if you CAN understand O.Henry... well, you are very smart indeed. But if you are having a hard time getting through the stories, I would switch to a more modern short story writer.

This is very good advice:

Quote Originally Posted by Robert B. Mercer
    A Municipal Report is a wonderful story, with a wonderful surprise ending... but I suggest reading it just for the larger story, not to understand all of his references. [Most of his idioms are no longer used . . . almost none of them.] And Nashville today bears little resemblence of the Nashville of the story.
    However, the following advice is not something a teacher would advise, especially where it pertains to vocabulary:

... if you try to understand all the small details, your learning will be sooooooooooo slow. . . . So you will be doing a lot of work to understand references that are no longer understood.
    Empower students. Tell them what they want to know. The following is good advice but not what the poster requested:

. . . if you are having a hard time getting through the stories, I would switch to a more modern short story write.
    All the best,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hmmmm... I would have to differ here, I do not tell students what they want to know---I tell them what I want them to know.

But I am drifting off subject here, let me send you a private message; I'd be very interested in your thoughts on this.