Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 124
    #1

    Question What does " on a fight " mean here?

    In episode 1 of the British Tv series "Silk",Clive,a barrister, is showing off to the other people now present in the chamber .The following is a part of the conversation between him and them.
    - So I'm 35 years old I'm a date rapist. Spike drinks back to my hotel room she's comatosed in I pop.I've lost my marriage I lose my job because not only am I a rapist but I'm also a police officer.So what do you think?What do I get?
    - Eight?(another barrister)
    - On a fight.
    - Ten? (the same another barrister)
    - Four.
    -All: Four?
    So what does " on a fight " mean here?Any help will be much appreciated.Thank you all again.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #2

    Re: What does " on a fight " mean here?

    Quote Originally Posted by on the way View Post
    In episode 1 of the British Tv series "Silk",Clive,a barrister, is showing off to the other people now present in the chamber .The following is a part of the conversation between him and them.
    - So I'm 35 years old I'm a date rapist. Spike drinks back to my hotel room she's comatosed in I pop.I've lost my marriage I lose my job because not only am I a rapist but I'm also a police officer.So what do you think?What do I get?
    - Eight?(another barrister)
    - On a fight.
    - Ten? (the same another barrister)
    - Four.
    -All: Four?
    So what does " on a fight " mean here?Any help will be much appreciated.Thank you all again.
    It doesn't seem to make sense, are you sure you heard it correctly?

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #3

    Re: What does " on a fight " mean here?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    It doesn't seem to make sense, are you sure you heard it correctly?
    Perhaps on the way could provide a reference? Presumably s/he's watching it on a DVD, but at least s/he could say something like 'about 20 minutes in to the second episode'. Then someone in the UK could check on iPlayer. As Bhai says, it sounds like a mishearing.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 119
    #4

    Re: What does " on a fight " mean here?

    I think the rapist is asking the question: What is the likely length of my prison sentence? Eight years?

    The reply 'On a fight' I believe means: Only unless you have a good lawyer who will fight on your behalf to minimise your sentence.

    In other words, if the lawyer works very hard to persuade the judge and jury that you are contrite, full of remorse etc and do not deserve to spend ten years in jail.

    Uncle M - not a teacher.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: What does " on a fight " mean here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle M View Post
    The reply 'On a fight' I believe means: Only unless you have a good lawyer who will fight on your behalf to minimise your sentence.
    That sounds possible to me.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 124
    #6

    Re: What does " on a fight " mean here?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Perhaps on the way could provide a reference? Presumably s/he's watching it on a DVD, but at least s/he could say something like 'about 20 minutes in to the second episode'. Then someone in the UK could check on iPlayer. As Bhai says, it sounds like a mishearing.

    b
    02:42 That's the time when the expression in the subtitle appeared .And I'm sure it's not a mishearing."on a fight " is uttered with a rising tone,like that in a question like "are you really serious?"And the speake is the rapist's brief or advocate,just different wording,I guess.
    Thank you all.

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #7

    Re: What does " on a fight " mean here?

    It's here if anyone else wants to listen: BBC iPlayer - Silk: Episode 1 (I don't know how long it will stay there though).

    When Clive says 'I'm a rapist' he doesn't mean that he is; he's identifying with his client. As you say, he's showing off. He managed to get his client off with only four years, but before he says that he wants to get his audience to expect more. The first guess is eight years, which is already twice as long. But he wants them to guess even higher.

    His rising intonation - well spotted - suggests that he's saying 'Do you really think he'd get off that lightly?' (The question remains 'Which fight?'. I can only assume that the date-rape was aggravated by some other violent act.)

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 124
    #8

    Re: What does " on a fight " mean here?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    It's here if anyone else wants to listen: BBC iPlayer - Silk: Episode 1 (I don't know how long it will stay there though).

    When Clive says 'I'm a rapist' he doesn't mean that he is; he's identifying with his client. As you say, he's showing off. He managed to get his client off with only four years, but before he says that he wants to get his audience to expect more. The first guess is eight years, which is already twice as long. But he wants them to guess even higher.

    His rising intonation - well spotted - suggests that he's saying 'Do you really think he'd get off that lightly?' (The question remains 'Which fight?'. I can only assume that the date-rape was aggravated by some other violent act.)

    b
    It makes sense to me now.Thank you again Bobk.

Similar Threads

  1. Defining "Street," "Road," "Avenue," "Boulevard"
    By ahumphreys in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-Dec-2010, 08:14
  2. [Vocabulary] Difference between "health" and "wellness", "Diagnosis" and "Analysis"
    By tobysky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2010, 23:43
  3. [Vocabulary] How do you pronounce "Cotton", "Button", "Britain", "Manhattan"...
    By Williamyh in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2009, 09:36
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2008, 08:27
  5. confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 19:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •