Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In episode 1 of the British Tv series "Silk",Clive,a barrister, is showing off to the other people now present in the chamber .The following is a part of the conversation between him and them.
- So I'm 35 years old I'm a date rapist. Spike drinks back to my hotel room she's comatosed in I pop.I've lost my marriage I lose my job because not only am I a rapist but I'm also a police officer.So what do you think?What do I get?
- Eight?(another barrister)
- On a fight.
- Ten? (the same another barrister)
- Four.
-All: Four?
So what does " on a fight " mean here?Any help will be much appreciated.Thank you all again.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In episode 1 of the British Tv series "Silk",Clive,a barrister, is showing off to the other people now present in the chamber .The following is a part of the conversation between him and them.
- So I'm 35 years old I'm a date rapist. Spike drinks back to my hotel room she's comatosed in I pop.I've lost my marriage I lose my job because not only am I a rapist but I'm also a police officer.So what do you think?What do I get?
- Eight?(another barrister)
- On a fight.
- Ten? (the same another barrister)
- Four.
-All: Four?
So what does " on a fight " mean here?Any help will be much appreciated.Thank you all again.
It doesn't seem to make sense, are you sure you heard it correctly?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It doesn't seem to make sense, are you sure you heard it correctly?
Perhaps on the way could provide a reference? Presumably s/he's watching it on a DVD, but at least s/he could say something like 'about 20 minutes in to the second episode'. Then someone in the UK could check on iPlayer. As Bhai says, it sounds like a mishearing.

b

Uncle M

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think the rapist is asking the question: What is the likely length of my prison sentence? Eight years?

The reply 'On a fight' I believe means: Only unless you have a good lawyer who will fight on your behalf to minimise your sentence.

In other words, if the lawyer works very hard to persuade the judge and jury that you are contrite, full of remorse etc and do not deserve to spend ten years in jail.

Uncle M - not a teacher.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The reply 'On a fight' I believe means: Only unless you have a good lawyer who will fight on your behalf to minimise your sentence.
That sounds possible to me.

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Perhaps on the way could provide a reference? Presumably s/he's watching it on a DVD, but at least s/he could say something like 'about 20 minutes in to the second episode'. Then someone in the UK could check on iPlayer. As Bhai says, it sounds like a mishearing.

b
02:42 That's the time when the expression in the subtitle appeared .And I'm sure it's not a mishearing."on a fight " is uttered with a rising tone,like that in a question like "are you really serious?"And the speake is the rapist's brief or advocate,just different wording,I guess.
Thank you all.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's here if anyone else wants to listen: BBC iPlayer - Silk: Episode 1 (I don't know how long it will stay there though).

When Clive says 'I'm a rapist' he doesn't mean that he is; he's identifying with his client. As you say, he's showing off. He managed to get his client off with only four years, but before he says that he wants to get his audience to expect more. The first guess is eight years, which is already twice as long. But he wants them to guess even higher.

His rising intonation - well spotted :up: - suggests that he's saying 'Do you really think he'd get off that lightly?' (The question remains 'Which fight?'. I can only assume that the date-rape was aggravated by some other violent act.)

b

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's here if anyone else wants to listen: BBC iPlayer - Silk: Episode 1 (I don't know how long it will stay there though).

When Clive says 'I'm a rapist' he doesn't mean that he is; he's identifying with his client. As you say, he's showing off. He managed to get his client off with only four years, but before he says that he wants to get his audience to expect more. The first guess is eight years, which is already twice as long. But he wants them to guess even higher.

His rising intonation - well spotted :up: - suggests that he's saying 'Do you really think he'd get off that lightly?' (The question remains 'Which fight?'. I can only assume that the date-rape was aggravated by some other violent act.)

b
:up:It makes sense to me now.Thank you again Bobk.

Status
Not open for further replies.