Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    misdemeanor

    What would you refer to as a misdemeanor in terms of a minor offense?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #2

    Re: misdemeanor

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    What would you refer to as a misdemeanor in terms of a minor offense/offence (BrE)?
    It would depend on the laws in a particular jurisdiction.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: misdemeanor

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    It would depend on the laws in a particular jurisdiction.
    Since a demeanor stands for somewhat of a behavior I can suggest that misdemeanor is "an indicent behavior"?
    Last edited by ostap77; 01-Mar-2011 at 14:31.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #4

    Re: misdemeanor

    No, don't make that assumption. Indecent carries connotations other than simply "bad."

    Minor crimes are misdemeanors.
    Major crimes are felonies.

    If you are convicted of a misdemeanor, you may have to pay a fine or do some community service, or get nothing at all except probation, which means that if you don't get into any more trouble, after a time specified by the judge, you're free.You probably will not go to jail, or if you do, it will be for a shorter time.

    Misdemeanors may include shoplifting (stealing items of lower value), disorderly conduct, public fighting, or trespassing.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #5

    Re: misdemeanor

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    No, don't make that assumption. Indecent carries connotations other than simply "bad."

    Minor crimes are misdemeanors.
    Major crimes are felonies.

    If you are convicted of a misdemeanor, you may have to pay a fine or do some community service, or get nothing at all except probation, which means that if you don't get into any more trouble, after a time specified by the judge, you're free.You probably will not go to jail, or if you do, it will be for a shorter time.

    Misdemeanors may include shoplifting (stealing items of lower value), disorderly conduct, public fighting, or trespassing.
    Thanks for clarification! Won't do it anymore.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •