Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This thread really follows on from an earlier one entitled 'dumb as a post', which developed into comments about regional use of an idiom. I thought I'd toss this in the air and see how it came down!

When someone uses an idiom in the wrong context, it causes a certain astonishment in the listener and a desire to say "WHAT?" That is how I'd feel if you thanked me for my help by saying "Thanks a bunch".

In my experience, 'thanks a bunch' definitely does not ever mean a sincere thank you. It is a purely sarcastic expression that I would only use if, for example, a friend had let me down in some way.

All the other genuine expressions of thanks can also be used ironically (eg: "Thank you very much" when someone spills his drink over you), but this would be understood from the context or the speaker's tone and face.

I may be alone here, but am confident this is correct, at least in England. Unfortunately you do hear some native English speakers using this expression wrongly, but that doesn't make it 'right'. Is this the same in other regions, I wonder?

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

"Thanks a bunch" definitely CAN be used in a sarcastic manner, and maybe is used even more often in a sarcastic manner, but I'd say it can definitely be used sincerely.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
From my perch here in Toronto, I agree with Vidor. Thanks a bunch is usually used ironically, but it could also be jocular in a folksy or mock-folksy way. You'd have to rely on context and intonation to be certain.

I don't think I've ever heard it except with one or the other of these connotations. It would never be a simple synonym for Thank you very much.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Because it is used regularly in a sarcastic manner, it is a phrase that should be used with caution by some learners- if they get their intonation wrong, they could easily be misunderstood.

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

All about tone, really. Straightforward phrases like "Thank you very much" become sarcastic if said in a sarcastic tone.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: not a teacher

Not all learners have native speaker level control of and sensitivity to tone.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: not a teacher

Not all learners have native speaker level control of and sensitivity to tone.
Not all native speakers have real control of and sensitivity to tone.:-|

Status
Not open for further replies.