Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"If you studied good in the last semester, you are going to understand everything the professor will be talking about." OK?

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"If you studied well..." Yes. Although I don't think "well" is the most common adverb to describe the quality of studying. Native speakers will hopefully tell us.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"If you studied well..." Yes. Although I don't think "well" is the most common adverb to describe the quality of studying. Native speakers will hopefully tell us.

Don't we say "He speaks good English"? "If we talk about a fututre result that is dependant on something that happened in the past, can I use the past progressive in the same context ?

"If you were warking hard in the last semester, you are going to understand everything the professor will be talking about."

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"Good" in "good English" modifies "English". It's an adjective modifying a noun. "Well" in "studied well" modifies "studied". It's an adverb modifying a verb.

As for the past progressive question, you seem to be asking an infinite number of questions regarding English tenses without trying to apply logic first. You certainly know what difference there is between progressive and simple tenses. What is your opinion on this?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Good" in "good English" modifies "English". It's an adjective modifying a noun. "Well" in "studied well" modifies "studied". It's an adverb modifying a verb.

As for the past progressive question, you seem to be asking an infinite number of questions regarding English tenses without trying to apply logic first. You certainly know what difference there is between progressive and simple tenses. What is your opinion on this?

The reason I was asking is that grammar text-books say that in such future conditionals the verb in the if clause can be either in the past simple or present perfect. None of my grammar text-books gives an example with the past progressive in the if clause. Possible?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
A grammar book won't give you examples for everything. Take a look at the following dialogue.

"I was running today."
"If you were running, then you're certainly tired."

I don't know if it's possible in your example. If you can come up with a good context, then it's possible. If there's no such context, it's impossible.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't know if it's possible in your example. If you can come up with a good context, then it's possible. If there's no such context, it's impossible.
"If you were working hard (rather than just pretending, which is what I suspect) in the last semester (on those occasions I saw you with your head in a book), you are going to understand everything the professor will be talking about (in his lecture next week)."

Status
Not open for further replies.