Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1.By "troubled", do you mean "worried" or "having problems"?
2.Does "burned up" mean "he made it very popular"? What does it mean?

ex)James Dean invented the role of the troubled teen. His peculiarity was to serve as an icon to generations of young people. He burned up the screen as an important symbol of 50's teen rebellion.....

marmoset

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

ex)James Dean invented the role of the troubled teen. His peculiarity was to serve as an icon to generations of young people. He burned up the screen as an important symbol of 50's teen rebellion.....

1. "Troubled" in this case means "having problems". These days it is very common to hear about a "troubled teen". They may have social difficulties, depression, family problems, drug problems, etc.

2. I am not really sure about this usage of burned up, but based on context I would think it means he "appeared often and prominently".

:)

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. "Troubled" in this case means "having problems". These days it is very common to hear about a "troubled teen". They may have social difficulties, depression, family problems, drug problems, etc.

2. I am not really sure about this usage of burned up, but based on context I would think it means he "appeared often and prominently".

Thank you again, but my book's translation goes "rebelling" for trouble, so I don't think it's proper, I think "having problem" is better, right?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
James Dean invented the role of the troubled teen. His peculiarity was to serve as an icon to generations of young people. He burned up the screen as an important symbol of 50's teen rebellion.....

keannu.
1) Here "troubled" means, as you suggest, "having problems". Usually of a personal and psychological nature that result in the "troubled teen" social misfit archetype.
2) "He burned up the screen" means that his screen presence had an unusual intensity that, for many people, made Dean's roles particularly affecting and memorable.
(Personally I think he overacts.)

sorry marmoset, I doubled up on your post

not a teacher

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He did overact well, though. ;-)

marmoset

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Keannu,
"rebelling teen" would have a bit of a different meaning, and it would sound more natural to say "rebellious teen" if we were talking about a teen who has been doing rebellious actions.

So, your book translates the word "troubled" from the phrase "troubled teen" as "rebelling"? It's not really a bad translation, but yes, I think "having problems" is a bit more accurate. To be clear, though, we don't say, "having problems teen".

@JMurray, no need to apologize. I especially appreciate you clarifying #2, as I was pretty unsure. Thanks.

haruko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Cambodia
Current Location
United States
James Dean is kinda overrated in that role. That movie "Rebel Without a Cause" is just okay. He wasn't a very convincing "troubled teenager" to me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for the information about troubled teen. I was curious on this title "James Dean was a troubled teen?" Is it true that James Dean a troubled teen? Also when he was very popular, is he support troubled teens programs?
The only "troubled teen programs" in the 50s were a kick in the backside.

Read about him here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.