Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    not a few

    "The empire builders of Islam waged military offensives in the name of jihad as late as the 17th century, 2)and not a few turned their righteous doctrines on each other."

    Does 2) mean that there had been a number of incidents when they confronted each other?

  1. Khosro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 530
    #2

    Re: not a few

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "The empire builders of Islam waged military offensives in the name of jihad as late as the 17th century, 2)and not a few turned their righteous doctrines on each other."

    Does 2) mean that there had been a number of incidents when they confronted each other?
    That's right as far as you are dealing with "turn on somebody". As much as it concerns "not a few" I would say that "not a few" refers to "the empire builders of Islam" and not the incidents.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: not a few

    Quote Originally Posted by Khosro View Post
    That's right as far as you are dealing with "turn on somebody". As much as it concerns "not a few" I would say that "not a few" refers to "the empire builders of Islam" and not the incidents.
    1)Despite their righteous doctrines "the empire builders of Islam" fought each other? 2)Does "not a few" carry a positive or negative meaning? I mean it stands for many or little?
    Last edited by ostap77; 03-Mar-2011 at 13:10.

  2. Khosro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 530
    #4

    Re: not a few

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Despite their righteoous doctrines "the empire builders of Islam" fought each other?
    No. they fought each other because each of them thought his own doctrine to be right.
    The main doctrines were the those of Shi'es and Sonnis, if one can call them doctrines.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #5

    Re: not a few

    Quote Originally Posted by Khosro View Post
    No. they fought each other because each of them thought his own doctrine to be right.
    What about 2)?

  3. Khosro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 530
    #6

    Re: not a few

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    What about 2)?
    ofcourse "many".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 434
    #7

    Re: not a few

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "The empire builders of Islam waged military offensives in the name of jihad as late as the 17th century, 2)and not a few turned their righteous doctrines on each other."

    Does 2) mean that there had been a number of incidents when they confronted each other?
    I am not a teacher.

    It is a figure of speech called "litotes", understatement. I am sure it exists in Polish. "Not a few" is "many", as Khosro says.

    EDIT: Why did I have it in my head that ostap77 spoke Polish? Anyway, I'm sure it exists in every language.
    Last edited by Coolfootluke; 03-Mar-2011 at 14:54. Reason: Polish?

  4. Khosro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 530
    #8

    Re: not a few

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolfootluke View Post
    I am not a teacher.

    It is a figure of speech called "litotes", understatement. I am sure it exists in Polish. "Not a few" is "many", as Khosro says.
    "litotes" which I hear of for the first time exists in persian, due to translations perhaps or as an inherent feature of it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •