Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The music for today's service was all composed by George Friedrich Handel in celebration of the 300th anniversary of his birth.

The above joke was quoted from internet ,could you tell me where the humor is? thank you in advance.

From tien-sung (Taiwan)

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The music for today's service was all composed by George Friedrich Handel in celebration of the 300th anniversary of his birth.

The above joke was quoted from internet ,could you tell me where the humor is? thank you in advance.

From tien-sung (Taiwan)

It was funny and I laughed.

See, In a ceremony we play a piece of music composed by a composer to celebrate his for example 300'th anniversary of his birth. But the composer has not made it for the anniversary. It's funny that a composer make a symphony to celebrate his/her 300'th anniversary when he is still alive. Nobody makes music for the time after his death and for an anniversary of his own birth.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

From tien-sung (Taiwan)

It should be:

The music for today's service was all composed by George Friedrich Handel. It (the music performed) was in celebration of the 300th anniversary of his birth.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If any further explanation needed:

Handel did not compose them in celebration of the 300th anniversary of his birth, but we perform them in celebration of the 300th anniversary of his birth.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Or: The music for today's service, all composed by George Friedrich Handel, was in celebration of the 300th anniversary of his birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.