Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 3
    #1

    Apostrophe usage - one's/ones'

    This can be achieved due to the fact that by definition, one's perception differs from others'.
    I was in the midst of an essay earlier when I came came across this line. I really was stumped on what I should do in regard to the apostrophe on "ones". I would have thought that it came before the 's' but then again, I am referring to 'one' in the context that it refers to everyone and as such, I was not sure whether or not this makes it a plural (and therefore the apostrophe should come after the 's') or not.


    Help!

  1. Khosro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 530
    #2

    Re: Apostrophe usage - one's/ones'

    Quote Originally Posted by Warfare View Post
    I was in the midst of an essay earlier when I came came across this line. I really was stumped on what I should do in regard to the apostrophe on "ones". I would have thought that it came before the 's' but then again, I am referring to 'one' in the context that it refers to everyone and as such, I was not sure whether or not this makes it a plural (and therefore the apostrophe should come after the 's') or not.


    Help!
    It is not plural and the apostrophe comes before "s".
    The plural form is "ones".
    I am almost sure that you don't need to use "ones" in a possesive combination so you never see ones' .

    By the way, hello and welcome aboard. If you are a native speaker of English then probably you don't need my advice.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 3
    #3

    Re: Apostrophe usage - one's/ones'

    Quote Originally Posted by Khosro View Post
    It is not plural and the apostrophe comes before "s".
    The plural form is "ones".
    I am almost sure that you don't need to use "ones" in a possesive combination so you never see ones' .

    By the way, hello and welcome aboard. If you are a native speaker of English then probably you don't need my advice.
    Ah, yes. It does make more sense to have the apostrophe before the 's' the more I look at it.


    However, I just looked back through the same essay and uncovered this.
    can create and the way in which colour remains relative to ones’ expectations.
    This I wrote naturally without even stopping to think about it. I think it may just be my interpretation of 'ones', for some reason I cannot get it out of my head that it is not a plural; it looks as though it is directed at the reader (and thus, is singular) but at the same time, it refers to everyone (and to me that would make it a plural).

    I really cannot get my head around this at all, haha.


    //Thank you for the welcome. English is my native language, but there are times when it certainly doesn't feel like it!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 425
    #4

    Re: Apostrophe usage - one's/ones'

    not a teacher.

    I think that

    1) one-one's (singular)
    2) ones-ones' (plural)

    Again, among others, the ethical standards that address reservations or limitations about ones' opinions should be considered.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 425
    #5

    Re: Apostrophe usage - one's/ones'

    Quote Originally Posted by Warfare View Post
    I think it may just be my interpretation of 'ones', for some reason I cannot get it out of my head that it is not a plural; it looks as though it is directed at the reader (and thus, is singular) but at the same time, it refers to everyone (and to me that would make it a plural).
    Check this magic out.

    Nobody wants to work tonight, do they?

    Is nobody plural or singular?

    If it's singular then why do we have do they?
    If it's plural then why do we have wants?

  2. Khosro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 530
    #6

    Re: Apostrophe usage - one's/ones'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    not a teacher.

    I think that

    1) one-one's (singular)
    2) ones-ones' (plural)

    Again, among others, the ethical standards that address reservations or limitations about ones' opinions should be considered.
    I am not sure about ones' .
    I have never heard it.
    I think ones has such a grammatical function and position that we don't need to use it in a possesive combination as ones' .

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 425
    #7

    Re: Apostrophe usage - one's/ones'

    The example I provided is not made up by me. I picked it up from a book.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 3
    #8

    Re: Apostrophe usage - one's/ones'

    Quote Originally Posted by Khosro View Post
    I am not sure about ones' .
    I have never heard it.
    I think ones has such a grammatical function and position that we don't need to use it in a possesive combination as ones' .
    Yes, I am thinking this way now. I think I may have slightly misinterpreted it. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    Check this magic out.

    Nobody wants to work tonight, do they?

    Is nobody plural or singular?

    If it's singular then why do we have do they?
    If it's plural then why do we have wants?
    But then 'nobody wants to work tonight' does not imply ownership

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 425
    #9

    Re: Apostrophe usage - one's/ones'

    Quote Originally Posted by Warfare View Post
    Yes, I am thinking this way now. I think I may have slightly misinterpreted it. Thanks.


    But then 'nobody wants to work tonight' does not imply ownership
    That's right. The point is a bit broader than that. I just showed you another controversial phenomenon in English.
    Last edited by Kotfor; 03-Mar-2011 at 23:26. Reason: phenomenon

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,449
    #10

    Re: Apostrophe usage - one's/ones'

    ...one's perception differs from others'.
    'One' is a single person and 'others' are plural people, therefore the apostrophes are correct.

    Compare
    ...my perception differs from that of other people.
    Rover

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] apostrophe usage
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Jan-2009, 04:44
  2. Query re apostrophe usage
    By Samanthav77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Mar-2008, 00:50
  3. apostrophe usage
    By jillians77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Feb-2008, 11:33
  4. Apostrophe Usage
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Feb-2008, 21:31
  5. Usage of Apostrophe
    By sparsh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2006, 14:40

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •