Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 1,630
    #1

    baby born

    A. The baby of May are dead (no more breathing) before he was born. May are going to remove the baby.

    I know there are some mistakes in my sentence. Can you show me the propeway to describe the situation.

    eg.
    1. the baby who hasn't born yet
    2. the baby are dead inside the mum's body
    3. remove the baby from the mum's body
    4. a dead baby
    B. I heard the mum's friends were collecting money and made a basket to the couple of that dead baby.

    1. What should I say the above sentence in a proper English.
    2. What should I name that basket?
    3. What should I name this kind of care and gesture of the friends?

    C. I heard someone was using the work terminate while talking about this situation.

    1. What is it?
    2. Where should I put this word in a sentance?

    D. What should I say to the father to show my regards?

    E. What should I say to the father in encourage him to try again since they are still young?


    Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 2,944
    #2

    Re: baby born

    The doctors will terminate the pregnacy because the baby is not living.

    Sometimes people take up a collection or send flowers to the man and woman who have lost their baby.

    This is a very sad time for the man and woman. Just tell them that you are sorry for their loss. Do not mention anything about trying again. They are grieving at this time. Offer your support and ask if there is anything you can do for them.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 52
    #3

    Re: baby born

    *just an assistant English teacher

    I highly agree with susiedqq.


    A. The baby of May are dead (no more breathing) before he was born. May are going to remove the baby.
    Is May the woman who was/is pregnant? Is this sentence being used to tell someone else about May's miscarriage? You should probably let May tell people on her own if she wants to tell them.
    The sentence could be written, "May's unborn baby unfortunatly passed away. Doctors are going to have to remove the baby."

    (none of these terms below are ones you would want to use when talking to someone about their miscarriage.)
    1. the baby who hasn't (been) born yet = fetus or unborn baby or baby
    2. the baby which is dead inside the mum's body = miscarriage or baby
    3. removing the baby from the mum's body = D & C (I don't know what it stands for, but neither do most people who haven't had one).
    4. a dead baby = dead baby or baby.

    B. I heard the mum's friends were collecting money and made a basket to the couple of that dead baby.


    1. How should I say the above sentence in a proper English. (I heard the mum's friends were collecting money to make a gift basket for the couple.)
    2. What should I call that basket? = gift basket
    3. What should I call this kind of care and gesture of the friends? = The friends are collecting money. It is a gesture of sympathy.
    C. I heard someone was using the work terminate while talking about this situation.

    1. What is it? = terminate means to end. They will do a D & C to terminate the pregnancy.
    2. Where should I put this word in a sentence? The doctors will terminate the pregnancy.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #4

    Re: baby born

    Whether a D&C is used or not depends on the gestational age of the baby. An early miscarriage, yes. But late in the term it is usually easiest just to deliver the baby. This is called a "stillbirth" and the baby can be called "stillborn."

    Stillbirth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 1,630
    #5

    Re: baby born

    Quote Originally Posted by marmoset View Post
    *just an assistant English teacher

    I highly agree with susiedqq.


    A. The baby of May are dead (no more breathing) before he was born. May are going to remove the baby.
    Is May the woman who was/is pregnant? Is this sentence being used to tell someone else about May's miscarriage? You should probably let May tell people on her own if she wants to tell them.
    The sentence could be written, "May's unborn baby unfortunatly passed away. Doctors are going to have to remove the baby."

    (none of these terms below are ones you would want to use when talking to someone about their miscarriage.)
    1. the baby who hasn't (been) born yet = fetus or unborn baby or baby
    2. the baby which is dead inside the mum's body = miscarriage or baby
    3. removing the baby from the mum's body = D & C (I don't know what it stands for, but neither do most people who haven't had one).
    4. a dead baby = dead baby or baby.

    B. I heard the mum's friends were collecting money and made a basket to the couple of that dead baby.


    1. How should I say the above sentence in a proper English. (I heard the mum's friends were collecting money to make a gift basket for the couple.)
    2. What should I call that basket? = gift basket
    3. What should I call this kind of care and gesture of the friends? = The friends are collecting money. It is a gesture of sympathy.
    C. I heard someone was using the work terminate while talking about this situation.

    1. What is it? = terminate means to end. They will do a D & C to terminate the pregnancy.
    2. Where should I put this word in a sentence? The doctors will terminate the pregnancy.
    I am not going to tell anyone about the miscarriage but solely want to learn more.

    Thank you.

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #6

    Re: baby born

    Quote Originally Posted by marmoset View Post
    = D & C (I don't know what it stands for, but neither do most people who haven't had one).
    A D&C is a Dilatation of the cervix and Curettage of the contents of the uterus. It's used for either diagnostic or therapeutic reasons of various kinds.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 1,630
    #7

    Re: baby born

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    A D&C is a Dilatation of the cervix and Curettage of the contents of the uterus. It's used for either diagnostic or therapeutic reasons of various kinds.
    • Dilatation
    • Curettage

    Thank you for your kind reply. I have checked to above words on Cambridge on-line dictionary in order to learn the pronounciaton. But both words were not found. Can you help?

    Thank you.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #8

    Re: baby born

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    • Dilatation
    • Curettage

    Thank you for your kind reply. I have checked to above words on Cambridge on-line dictionary in order to learn the pronounciaton. But both words were not found. Can you help?

    Thank you.
    Dilatation is a variant term for dilation. (AmE probably uses 'dilation'). At med school, I learnt 'dilatation'.
    Cervical dilation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Curettage is the noun for curetting something. It's a French word, pronounced in the French way, as in fromage, not as in cabbage.
    Curettage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Dilation and curettage (D&C) - MayoClinic.com
    /daɪl[ət]ˈeɪʃən/ /ˈkjurəˌta:ʒ/ - but you don't need these words. It's a D & C. Other things can be dilated and curetted, but usually not at the same time.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] have been born or was born
    By princesabharwal in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-Sep-2010, 03:09
  2. was/were born
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2010, 08:27
  3. have you been born
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-May-2009, 04:04
  4. [Grammar] a baby [which] has recently been born
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-Jul-2008, 09:45
  5. born in or at?
    By sottilel in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Sep-2006, 03:17

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •