Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please check out the following sentence. Is it acceptable?

If you are passionate about something, don't be afraid to dream big and take calculated risks.

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Grrrr - do I dislike the word 'passionate'? Yes I do, very much. It has become so fashionable over the last few years that it is now a word to be avoided. I blame the cult of TV cookery programmes: everybody in them has to say how passionate they are about cooking. Also every company has to tell us how passionate it is about its particular product or service. So try to find an alternative.

'Dream big' is quite the opposite: so unusual as to make the reader stop and look again.:shock: Perhaps you want that, but a more normal use would be 'think big'.

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If you display great ardor for something, don't be afraid to think big and take calculated risks.

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hey, you've just looked up 'passionate' in a dictionary! That only tells you what it means, without giving you practical alternatives. Think about it. It's what your brain's for.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you are passionate about something, don't be afraid to dream big and take calculated risks.
Asiuhto, that sentence is fine.

The Dude thinks the word is overused. I don't like it very much, though I am not so passionate about my dislike as the Dude;-).

It's commonly used. In your sentence, I think it is appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.