Student or Learner
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
Hello!;-)

Can somebody advice me some tips for writting better abstract of reasearch paper...:roll:

Here is my abstract:

The purpose of the research is to find out the effect of using metaphor and simile in the novel. Using and studying theoretical materials about stylistics and figures of speech we will research how they are pertaining to the text and understand it meaning. Metaphor and simile made the text more interesting to read and gave for the text visualization. Without these two figures of speech the text would be plain and boring to read, it would not bring about imagination.

I do not like the second sentence ...but I do not know how to paraphrase it:shock:... Probably someone could advice me how can I do it?!:shock:
I know that I need to use for the second sentence past tense or passive voice, I dishonour:oops: to admit that I am not able to do it (I do not undertand how I can do it!!!) ... (now I undertand that I am bad at English grammar)....:-?

Thank you! :up:

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Wow - this is complicated! This paragraph is a major confusion of tenses. Let's try to simplify it. I'm sure that will make it much easier.

First, sit back and think about where we are in time. It seems the research has taken place, and this is your report. Now locate all the working verbs in the four sentences. Where are they? Highlight them. This should help you to link the tenses in a way that makes sense. Your verbs need to 'agree' with each other, which means that the tenses you choose should keep the text moving smoothly, rather than jumping from one time to another!

Now let's separate the four sentences and look at what they do. The first sets out the objective of the research, the second tells us what you did, the third what you found and the last is a conclusion.

So: now we know where we are and what we have to do.:) Start at the beginning with the very first verb and work through it one sentence at a time. Give it a try and post it up again so I can see how you get on.

Also I would suggest some other changes:
'How they pertain to the text' not 'pertaining to', because this is not a continuing action with a start and finish but something that happens all the time;
'clarify its meaning' not 'understand its meaning', because a figure of speech cannot understand anything;
'gave it visualization' not 'gave for the text visualization', because you've already just used 'the text' so you can use a pronoun here. 'for' is unnecessary;
'stimulate imagination' would be better than 'bring about', because imagination is not something that can be brought about - it's always there, but can be stimulated, or encouraged.

No need to be embarrassed about admitting defeat with this - it's not at all easy. I think you're doing very well indeed to be working at this level.:cool:

Last edited:

Anety

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
About time...
1. Sentence - background and purpose - present tense
2. Sentence - research methodology - past tense, passive voice
3. Sentence - result - past tense
4. Sentence - conclusion - present tense, modal verbs...

So...

1.The purpose of the research is to find out the effect of using metaphor and simile in the novel.
2.Theoretical materials are studied and used to reasearch how the figures of speech pertain to the text and to clarify its meaning. (I am litlle bit confused about that sentence but I think I tried to do what I need! :-D)
3.Metaphor and simile made the text more interesting to read and gave it visualization. (With visualization I meant that metaphors gave for text images (how I wrote in conclusion - without them text would be plain and boring) ... they gave something that the text ...hmmm...dont realy know how to say it English ... probably I didnt wrote it correct... I translated it from my language...for me it is clear what I meant... I will try to find something more appropriate for the end of that sentence :lol: )
4.Without these two figures of speech the text would be plain and boring to read, it would not bring about imagination. (I think thats sentence is ok, isnt it?)

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The first sentence is well-expressed but, because it's in the present tense, puts the research ahead of us. Is this what you want? If the research has been completed the tense should be past simple.

In the second sentence, you could change 'the figures of speech' to 'these figures of speech' to keep the reader focused on these particular ones being studied - metaphor and simile - rather than any others. This would help avoid confusion.

You can delete 'to' before 'clarify' because these figures of speech 1. pertain to the text and 2. clarify its meaning.

This sentence is beginning to read well, but there is still a decision to be made about the tense. If the research is still in front of us, we are looking at the future (will be studied...). If it is finished, we must use the past (were studied...).

The third sentence is OK - only perhaps looking for something better than 'visualization'.

Last sentence - you can't 'bring about' imagination. These two don't match in English. Even though grammatically perfect, it's a combination we just don't use. Check my last answer.

Anety

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
The first sentence is well-expressed but, because it's in the present tense, puts the research ahead of us. Is this what you want? If the research has been completed the tense should be past simple.

In the second sentence, you could change 'the figures of speech' to 'these figures of speech' to keep the reader focused on these particular ones being studied - metaphor and simile - rather than any others. This would help avoid confusion.

You can delete 'to' before 'clarify' because these figures of speech 1. pertain to the text and 2. clarify its meaning.

This sentence is beginning to read well, but there is still a decision to be made about the tense. If the research is still in front of us, we are looking at the future (will be studied...). If it is finished, we must use the past (were studied...).

The third sentence is OK - only perhaps looking for something better than 'visualization'.

Last sentence - you can't 'bring about' imagination. These two don't match in English. Even though grammatically perfect, it's a combination we just don't use. Check my last answer.

About tense... my written communication teacher gave me a chart where is described sentence structure...I need to use tenses that I mentioned in above post...
I havent started my research jet...the first thing what should I do is to write abstract... (it was for me confusing task because it is hard to think what results I will get through research...) ...

Thank you for your help/advice...I will take it into account :)

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can do it!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.