Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Have you ever been hiking in the mountains?" We may use the present perfect progressive with 'ever'.

"I've never hiked in the mountains! not "I've never been hiking in the mountains." Correct?

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
How have you come to such a conclusion? I am afraid it isn't right. I found many examples of "I have never been hiking" and two examples of "I have never been hiking in the mountains" and I guess they were from native speakers.

Furthermore, I still don't consider "hiking" here as the present participle of a present perfect continuous tense structure. I think of it as a present perfect structure. I remember I put a comment on a similar sentence in one of your previous threads. There was also a discussion about "been" between engee, fivejedjon and others but I am not sure if they have discussed this point directly.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
How have you come to such a conclusion? I am afraid it isn't right. I found many examples of "I have never been hiking" and two examples of "I have never been hiking in the mountains" and I guess they were from native speakers.

Furthermore, I still don't consider "hiking" here as the present participle of a present perfect continuous tense structure. I think of it as a present perfect structure. I remember I put a comment on a similar sentence in one of your previous threads. There was also a discussion about "been" between engee, fivejedjon and others but I am not sure if they have discussed this point directly.

That's why I put the question mark. I thought I might use it but wasn't sure. Indeed we were talking about the present perfect progressive. I guess we mainly refered to the use of "been" with "ever". I would be appreciative if you commented on the following one as well.

"How many times a week have you been taking German classes?"

"I'm a bit adventurous, so I said why not, even though I'd never been hiking , let alone really been to the wilderness before. Yes, I'd been car camping but a long... long time ago and I wouldn't call those populated camp grounds the wilderness."

I pulled it up from the blog and it got me wondering why the past perfect progressive is used here not the present perfect progressive?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"How many times a week have you been ta[STRIKE]l[/STRIKE]king German classes?"
That's acceptable.

"I'm a bit adventurous, so I said why not, even though I'd never been hiking , let alone really been to the wilderness before. Yes, I'd been car camping but a long... long time ago and I wouldn't call those populated camp grounds the wilderness."

I pulled it up from the blog and it got me wondering why the past perfect progressive is used here not the present perfect progressive?
Because the time period ends at the past time the speaker is talking about, not the present moment.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
That's why I put the question mark. I thought I might use it but wasn't sure. Indid we were talking about the present perfect progressive. I guess we mainly refered to the use of "been" with "ever". I would be appreciative if you commented on the following one as well.

"How many times a week have you been talking German classes?"

Considering "I'd been car camping":
Someone invited him to hiking. Some time in the past. Before that time in the past "he had been car camping".
Since he adds "but a long ... long time ago" again I don't think of it as a past perfect continuous, but a past perfect.
I am sure about why it should be past perfect and not present perfect but not about it's progressive aspect as an inherent part of "past perfect continuous".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In my last post I should have mentioned that it is not a continuous form.

If we wish to say that a person is not here because he left sometime ago for a camping holiday, we can say, "he has gone camping".

If we wish to say that camping holidays are part of his life experience, we can say, "he has been camping".

Neither of these is a continuous form. The word 'camping' is not the main verb.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
In my last post I should have mentioned that it is not a continuous form.

If we wish to say that a person is not here because he left sometime ago for a camping holiday, we can say, "he has gone camping".

If we wish to say that camping holidays are part of his life experience, we can say, "he has been camping".

Neither of these is a continuous form. The word 'camping' is not the main verb.

Getting back to what's already been said, when we talk about past experience, which one is liklier to be uttered "I've never smoked'' or ''I've never been moking."?

Last edited:

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Getting back to what's already been said, when we talk about about past experience, which one is liklier to be uttered "I've never smoked'' or ''I've never been moking."?

The first one I think.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
That sounds most unnatural to me.

I took it back. Still I don't know why we need the present participle "smoking" in such cases! It's okay with "been camping" and some other been + present participle but why "been smoking" I have no Idea!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I took it back. Still I don't know why we need the present participle "smoking" in such cases! It's okay with "been camping" and some other been + present participle but why "been smoking" I have no Idea!
Most people do not consider smoking to be a leisure activity that you set aside time for, and or travel to.

If restrictions on smoking continue to expand, there may well come a time when people go away for the weekend to places where they can smoke. Then they will be able to say, "I am going smoking this weekend"; in answer to the question 'Where have you been for the last few days?" they can respond, "I have been smoking" as others might say, "I have been camping".

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Most people do not consider smoking to be a leisure activity that you set aside time for, and or travel to.

If restrictions on smoking continue to expand, there may well come a time when people go away for the weekend to places where they can smoke. Then they will be able to say, "I am going smoking this weekend"; in answer to the question 'Where have you been for the last few days?" they can respond, "I have been smoking" as others might say, "I have been camping".

The problem is that they already say it as google shows.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The problem is that they already say it as google shows.
I suspect that the forms you have discovered have been perfect continuous forms of the verb 'smoke'.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I suspect that the forms you have discovered have been perfect continuous forms of the verb 'smoke'.

Sorry, you are right. Just one different example:

"I have never been smoking with a black woman before".

I guess it follows the same logic as:

"But other than that, I have never been riding around to hear a RAWR and then have a cougar tear my face off."

or:

"Seriously, I have never been riding in such a big group. It was really a great feeling to see small kids and old folks riding on their bikes."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That does not sound natural to me. I suspect that it is some form of slang and/or dialect, and that it may have something to do with sex. Have you any context?

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
That does not sound natural to me. I suspect that it is some form of slang and/or dialect, and that it may have something to do with sex. Have you any context?

It could be a slang. But does it necessarily need to be slang?
I added some lines to my previous post.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It could be a slang. But does it necessarily need to be slang?
There is little point in guessing at anything without context.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Sorry, you are right. Just one different example:

I guess it follows the same logic as:

"But other than that, I have never been riding around to hear a RAWR and then have a cougar tear my face off."

or:

"Seriously, I have never been riding in such a big group. It was really a great feeling to see small kids and old folks riding on their bikes."

Basically I may use the present perfect progressive to talk about past experience if I want to emphasize the duration of an activity or action?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Basically I may use the present perfect progressive to talk about past experience if I want to emphasize the duration of an activity or action?
You may - but I don't think that your last two examples are present perfect progressives. I think they are the same type as "I have been sailing and I have been skiiing. I like going skiing better."

Compare:
I have been riding for four hours, and my bottom is getting sore - present perfect progressive of ride.
I have been riding with my family, but I prefer to go riding on my own. present perfect of BE + riding (activity)

Status
Not open for further replies.