Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. Banned
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 80
    #1

    Concerning a verb phrase

    'It had been kung fu kicks tried out with shouts of indignation thought best to set about the mugger.'
    Is there anything wrong with that sentence, or specifically with the incorporate verb phrase? What is the main verb there, if that is not a stupid question? In my defence, there does seem to be rather a lot of 'em (verbs)!

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: Concerning a verb phrase

    Quote Originally Posted by JIM1984 View Post
    'It had been kung fu kicks tried out with shouts of indignation thought best to set about the mugger.'
    Is there anything wrong with that sentence, or specifically with the incorporate verb phrase? What is the main verb there, if that is not a stupid question? In my defence, there does seem to be rather a lot of 'em (verbs)!
    It's a very clumsily constructed sentence. The main verb is 'had been'. I'm not sure what you mean by 'incorporate verb phrase'.

  3. Banned
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 80
    #3

    Re: Concerning a verb phrase

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    It's a very clumsily constructed sentence. The main verb is 'had been'. I'm not sure what you mean by 'incorporate verb phrase'.
    9

    Thanks for the reply, and your pointing out of its clumsiness. Regards 'incororate verb phrase', I'm not sure what I mean by it either!

  4. Banned
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 80
    #4

    Re: Concerning a verb phrase

    Actually, on second thoughts I'm not sure if it is that clumsy. That is, of course, a matter of opinion.

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #5

    Re: Concerning a verb phrase

    Quote Originally Posted by JIM1984 View Post
    Actually, on second thoughts I'm not sure if it is that clumsy. That is, of course, a matter of opinion.
    'It had been kung fu kicks tried out with shouts of indignation thought best to set about the mugger.'
    I'd say that it's worse than clumsy, it's just about meaningless as far as I'm concerned. What exactly are you trying to say?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 50
    #6

    Re: Concerning a verb phrase

    There are some bits missing in your original almost-sentence.
    'It had been --kung fu kicks tried out with shouts of indignation-- (which were) thought (to be the) best (way) to set about the mugger.' (Too bad he had an Uzi!)
    --incorporate verb phrase--
    --Kung fu kicks tried out with shouts of indignation-- were thought [the best way to confront the mugger]. (by the victim).
    [short phrase]

    Probably won't win you the Nobel Prize for Literature!

  6. Banned
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 80
    #7

    Re: Concerning a verb phrase

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    'It had been kung fu kicks tried out with shouts of indignation thought best to set about the mugger.'
    I'd say that it's worse than clumsy, it's just about meaningless as far as I'm concerned. What exactly are you trying to say?
    9
    Actually, now, I think your are correct. How about 'Kung fu kicks, tried out with shouts of indignation, had been used against the mugger.'
    Or less simply ' It had been kung fu kicks, tried out with shouts of indignation, used against the mugger.'
    The last of both sentences I have along the lines of 'It (kung fu kicks, etc) had been used against the mugger.' In other words, am I right to think that if 'It had been used against the mugger.' is a complete sentence then the second of mine also falls into that category?
    Don't give up, it's too late to stop now!

  7. Banned
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 80
    #8

    Re: Concerning a verb phrase

    Quote Originally Posted by Bide View Post
    There are some bits missing in your original almost-sentence.
    'It had been --kung fu kicks tried out with shouts of indignation-- (which were) thought (to be the) best (way) to set about the mugger.' (Too bad he had an Uzi!)
    --incorporate verb phrase--
    --Kung fu kicks tried out with shouts of indignation-- were thought [the best way to confront the mugger]. (by the victim).
    [short phrase]

    Probably won't win you the Nobel Prize for Literature!
    9

    One question - are you a teacher?

  8. Banned
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 80
    #9

    Re: Concerning a verb phrase

    Mustard tried out with vinegar reminds me of my mother-in-law! What does the past participle tried function as here, is it an adjective?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 50
    #10

    Re: Concerning a verb phrase

    Mustard tried out with vinegar reminds me of my mother-in-law!

    Since one can take away 'out': Mustard tried with vinegar reminds me of my mother-in-law! I would call tried a past tense verb form. Compare with German: ausprobieren.

    Your mother-in-law sounds tasty: can I have her phone number?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Adverbial Phrase, Noun Phrase, Verb Phrase
    By novi_83 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Jun-2008, 18:46
  2. Is going to see .... is it a verb phrase?
    By Mohammed Abu Risha in forum Analysing and Diagramming Sentences
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2008, 15:04
  3. verb phrase
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Mar-2007, 17:34
  4. verb phrase
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2004, 07:03

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •