Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 1,647
    #1

    overheard

    I heard a English native kindergarten teacher always use the following sentences for expression. And I am going to say he same to the kids as well. Would you tell me whether I make any mistake because I just overheard it.

    1. use your word
    2. turn on your listening ears and put it in your head to remember to take snack before you play.
    3. now you all promise me to listen quieting. Remember to keep yours words, I will see how well you can be a good boy and girl.
    4. You can run and have fun in the playground but just not too fast. You may trip over easily.
    5. After taking the cake, the kids will have sugar rush and can't focus in the class.

    Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 202
    #2

    Re: overheard

    It may be that you misheard or that some words have changed in the transmission from the teacher to your post.

    I can't make anything of 1.

    No.2 might be: turn on your listening ears (jokingly said) and put it in your head to remember to have a snack before you play.

    No.3: now all of you promise me to listen quietly. I will see how well you can be good boys and girls. (I can't explain the missing piece!)

    No.4 is OK

    No.5: After taking (or eating) the cake, the kids will have a sugar rush and can't focus in the class.

    However, I suggest you say what you want to say and what you feel is correct for each situation.

  1. nyota's Avatar
    Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 615
    #3

    Re: overheard

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post

    No.5: After taking (or eating) the cake, the kids will have a sugar rush and can't focus in the class.
    Shouldn't it be ...and won't be able to focus in the class?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 434
    #4

    Re: overheard

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    I heard a English native kindergarten teacher always use the following sentences for expression. And I am going to say he same to the kids as well. Would you tell me whether I make any mistake because I just overheard it.

    1. use your word
    2. turn on your listening ears and put it in your head to remember to take snack before you play.
    3. now you all promise me to listen quieting. Remember to keep yours words, I will see how well you can be a good boy and girl.
    4. You can run and have fun in the playground but just not too fast. You may trip over easily.
    5. After taking the cake, the kids will have sugar rush and can't focus in the class.
    Thank you.
    I am not a teacher.

    1. Use your words. (In other words, speak.)
    2. Seems OK.
    3. Now, you all promised me to listen quietly. Remember to keep your word. I will see how well you can be good boys and girls.
    4. You can run and have fun in the playground but just not too fast. You might easily trip.
    5. After having cake, the kids will have a sugar rush and be unable to focus in class.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 202
    #5

    Re: overheard

    Quote Originally Posted by nyota View Post
    Shouldn't it be ...and won't be able to focus in the class?
    Certainly it would be better - I missed that!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 202
    #6

    Re: overheard

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolfootluke View Post
    3. Now, you all promised me to listen quietly. Remember to keep your word. I will see how well you can be good boys and girls.

    5. After having cake, the kids will have a sugar rush and be unable to focus in class.
    I did puzzle over no.3 and failed, but you've hit the nail on the head!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 1,647
    #7

    Re: overheard

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I did puzzle over no.3 and failed, but you've hit the nail on the head!
    What does it mean of you've hit the nail on the head?

    Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 202
    #8

    Re: overheard

    If you think of the image, you should get the idea. It means that what you've said is exactly right. You haven't missed the nail and come down next to it with your hammer - you've managed to hit it right on the top, or head.

    The normal use is when someone has realised a fact that others have missed, and has expressed it concisely. So we don't tell John he's hit the nail on the head if he tells us it's raining, but we might do if he suggests that the reason we all have stomach trouble today could be connected to the restaurant that we all went to last night.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •