Any informal name for 'invigilator', please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Could anyone please give me the informal term for this word in BrE?

And, what is the name for the person who enforces discipline at primary schools? (They're usually not teachers)

Thanks.

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There isn't one. It's a specific job (overseeing an examination) that has a specific title.

In an English school, teachers are in the front line for discipline and would refer matters beyond their control to the Head Teacher.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
There isn't one. It's a specific job (overseeing an examination) that has a specific title.

In an English school, teachers are in the front line for discipline and would refer matters beyond their control to the Head Teacher.

Thanks. In my country, during the break when the children get out of their classes to talk, play, or have food, there's a person who keeps an eye on them or helps them in case they need anything. Is there any name for such a person?

Cheers!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They were playground assistants when I left England twelve years ago.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
They were playground assistants when I left England twelve years ago.

Ta! Do you think children might still call them the same? I thought there may be an informal name.

Thanks to you!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Ta! Do you think children might still call them the same? I thought there may be an informal name.
I expect children refer to them by lots of terms that it might be better not to know.;-)

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Students in temporary and informal adminstrative positions are 'monitors'. Students in permanent and formal positions of authority are called 'prefects'. When I was at primary school in the '50s the adults who supervised playtime were called (by the children) 'dinner ladies'. Today I believe most of these assistants are called 'Teaching Assistants' - they also help in class. These are informally called 'TAs', though as 5jj implies there may be informal terms that wouldn't bear polite scrutiny!

An 'invigilator' is an independent person (not answerable to the Head Teacher) who visits a school to oversee public exams. I've never heard an informal term for one of these.

b

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would have said that an invigilator is any person authorised by the head teacher of the school to ensure the proper conduct of public examinations.

Students might call them supervisors or simply teachers, as in most schools the teaching staff invigilate exams.

As a matter of interest (and I know the OP asked specifically for BE synonyms) I've heard of the AE usage of proctors in this context.

Is this common in North America?

Rover

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As a matter of interest (and I know the OP asked specifically for BE synonyms) I've heard of the AE usage of proctors in this context.

Is this common in North America?

Rover
I am not a teacher.

That's what I call them.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
For me, a proctor is only a university policeman, but I am old.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You're right of course. In fact in my schooldays they were always just regular teachers - though the Head Teacher;-) usually made an attempt to have the teachers mixed up, so that they didn't know the relevant syllabus. But today in public exams they have to get outsiders in. (For internal exams, they use teachers though.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.