Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I am not sure with this paragraph, it seems that I have many 's' and 'do' - they may not necessary at all?

I have gone through the national events like you have - the economic crisis, the change of government and laws, and so on; I speak the language that you speak; I go to the city I live next to it like you do; I struggle through the train in the Underground like you do; Occasionally I miss my long journey trains and couches that you may do, so, what I feel is no difference from what you feel upon this place, it is the feeling of being at home.

If I just use national events without any further instances (the economic crisis, the change of government and laws), does it make sense to you?

And I want to shorten some repeated word or sentence like,

I go to the city I live next to it like you go to the city you live next to it

to

I go to the city I live next to it like you do

and

Occasionally I miss my long journey trains and couches like you may occasionally miss your long journey trains and couches.

to

Occasionally I miss my long journey trains and couches that you may do (I am not sure about this one whether is it grammatically correct)

Have they been shorted correctly?

Thanks.

Last edited:

marmoset

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*just an assistant ESL teacher

I have gone through the national events like you have - the economic crisis,
the change of government and laws, and so on; I speak the language that you speak; I go to the city I live next to it like you do; I struggle through the train in the Underground like you do; Occasionally I miss my long journey trains and couches that you may do, so, what I feel is no difference from what you feel upon this place, it is the feeling of being at home.

(this is a bit difficult without knowing exactly what you mean to say)

If I just use national events without any further instances (the economic crisis, the change of government and laws), does it make sense to you?
(I think it is ok)

to

(no. I go to the city (which/that) I live next to like you do.)

and

Occasionally I miss my long journey trains and couches like you may occasionally miss your long journey trains and couches.

to

Occasionally I miss my long journey trains and couches that you may do (I am not sure about this one whether is it grammatically correct)

(no. Occasionally I miss my long journey, trains, and couches, as you may also.) It is a bit strange to add couches with long journey and trains.

HTH
:)

iamtime

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
UK
*just an assistant ESL teacher

I have gone through the national events like you have - the economic crisis,
the change of government and laws, and so on; I speak the language that you speak; I go to the city I live next to it like you do; I struggle through the train in the Underground like you do; Occasionally I miss my long journey trains and couches that you may do, so, what I feel is no difference from what you feel upon this place, it is the feeling of being at home.

(this is a bit difficult without knowing exactly what you mean to say)

(I think it is ok)

to

(no. I go to the city (which/that) I live next to like you do.)

and

to

(no. Occasionally I miss my long journey, trains, and couches, as you may also.) It is a bit strange to add couches with long journey and trains.

HTH
:)

Thanks so much for this, marmoset! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.