• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

who averted whose gaze?

In the following, definitely "avert their gazes from" means "the students tried not to see Gali", but the translation goes "the students tried to avoid Gali's gaze". I think the former is correct. right? From mean separation, right?

ex)The bell rang and Mrs.Gali stepped to the front of the class. She asked for a volunteer to read their story. No one in class raised their hands. In fact, all of the kids were trying to avert their gazes from Mrs.Gali, "Nora, will you read your story for us?" said Mrs.Gali, smiling. .....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: who averted whose gaze?

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    In the following, definitely "avert their gazes from" means "the students tried not to see Gali", but the translation goes "the students tried to avoid Gali's gaze". I think the former is correct. right? From mean separation, right?

ex)The bell rang and Mrs.Gali stepped to the front of the class. She asked for a volunteer to read their story. No one in class raised their hands. In fact, all of the kids were trying to avert their gazes from Mrs.Gali, "Nora, will you read your story for us?" said Mrs.Gali, smiling. .....
    You can only avert your own gaze, not someone else's. You can avoid someone else's gaze.
    The translation isn't necessarily wrong. It's just not strict.
    If I avert my gaze from you, I'm avoiding your gaze (at least in the situation where we both start by gazing at each other). If the sentence had read, "He averted his gaze from the terrible accident", that obviously could not be translated as "He avoided the accident's gaze".