Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Is there a difference between I'LL DO MYSELF UP FOR THE INTERVIEW and I'LL MAKE MYSELF OVER FOR THE INTERVIEW?

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes indeed: I wouldn't use the second alternative. Certainly you can do yourself up for an occasion, and a female might make herself up, but making something over has two uses that I can think of, neither of which applies to a person:

1. If you make your house or other property over to someone, you give it to him formally. This is usually done in your will, for him to have after you've died;

2. You can give your house, or a room in it, a make-over by completely redecorating it.

I might look in the mirror one Sunday morning and tell myself I needed a make-over, but that would be said jokingly, using the meaning of no.2 above.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A person can get a make-over just as a room can -- new hair style, pehaps a new color, new cosmetics colors, perhaps even a new wardrobe.

There are reality shows on TV that show people getting make-overs. Sometimes you can hardly tell it's the same person.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A person can get a make-over just as a room can -- new hair style, pehaps a new color, new cosmetics colors, perhaps even a new wardrobe.
Is it used as a verb? Can a person (1) be made over, or (2) make themselves over? (1) sounds possible to me, (2) not, but I don't know for sure.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
This is a bit off-topic, but I just love it how in French the word for "make-over" is "relooking," which appears to be an English word, but isn't.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think makeover in the sense of restyle is never used as a verb.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm always afraid to say "never" become someone comes along with a use you couldn't think of.

Makeover (closed compound) is surely most often seen as a noun, but in 10 years we may find out it's a verb.

I see the dictionary defines "makeover" as the noun form of the phrasal verb "make over" which matches the use in the original post.

Reactions: 5jj

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Well, I've never been famous for caution or prudence:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.