Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi ...
Today I would ask you :) in point of view .....
what is the relationship between culture and language ?
in my opinion ... I read many answers about this question . and many of answers were good ... generally speaking my opinion in this topic is It is :up:

generally agreed that language and culture are closely related. Language can be viewed as a verbal expression of culture. It is used to maintain and convey culture and cultural ties. Language provides us with many of the categories we use for expression of our thoughts, so it is therefore natural to assume that our thinking is influenced by the language which we use. The values and customs in the country we grow up in shape the way in which we think to a certain extent.

I am waiting your opinion ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You say it is natural to assume this, but there are different views on the issue- the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis and linguistic relativism remains a controversial subject. These things are linked, but how much and in which ways they influence each other are not so clear that you can make that assumption IMO. I do believe that language influences the way we think, but I think you need to examine it rather than assume it as a starting position.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
These things are linked, but how much and in which ways they influence each other are not as clear as you say IMO.
I would go even further than that:

These things may be linked, but how much and in which ways they influence each other are nowhere near as clear as you say, IMO.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The Irish language is interesting; the way to say hello/good morning etc when meeting someone is "Dia dhuit", which means literally "God (be) with you", the response to which is " Dia is Mhuire dhuit" [God and Mary (be) with you]. I don't know how much their use influences a person's thinking butt he language hasn't developed any other way to greet somebody.

Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The Irish language is interesting; the way to say hello/good morning etc when meeting someone is "Dia dhuit", which means literally "God (be) with you", the response to which is " Dia is Mhuire dhuit" [God and Mary (be) with you]. I don't know how much their use influences a person's thinking butt he language hasn't developed any other way to greet somebody.
Such expressions almost certainly tell us something about the past of the society in they are now used, but it's difficult to judge whether they have any influence on the way people think nowadays. 'Goodbye' was originally 'God be with you'; it's interesting that the Irish use it on meeting and we use it on parting. Most native speakers of English are probably unaware of the original form, so we can't draw any conclusions from that. The use of 'for God's/Christ's sake' by somebody who is frustrated, or 'God knows' by someone who does not know the answer, does not mean that the speaker is a believer, any more than 'Don't tempt fate/providence' implies a belief in those ideas.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
And a French person doesn't have to believe in God to say, "Adieu!" There are many examples. They've become almost obsolete in my language.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Antediluvian, almost. And no, I don't believe in the biblical flood.
Yes, that was my point about Irish, those expressions are not obsolete and have not been changed as they have in English and, apparently, in Polish. Of course, Irish is a minority language and, as such, hasn't been subject to the degree of development that, for example, English has.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would go even further than that:

These things may be linked, but how much and in which ways they influence each other are nowhere near as clear as you say, IMO.

Probably, and the links would need to be examined and not assumed.

Taniela

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Fiji
Home Country
Fiji
Current Location
Fiji
I strongly believe there is a strong link between language and culture. Language tells you the importance of time in a language...tenses tell us how every culture value actions...Most non western cultures simply have past, present and future...no other progressive or perfect tenses...pronouns...the sentence order etc...tells alot what a culture values....

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Similarly, in Quebec French, the only swear words are religious in nature:

Tabernac!
Hostie!
Calisse!

Quebeckers sometimes offer the counter-point that English swear words relate to the body and sex.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The answer to that question would depend on what we mean by "language" there. If we take language in the widest possible meaning of symbols, including language of images and such, sure. If we talk about words chosen to label certain things and concepts and how that circumscribes possible interpretations and way of thinking about those things and concepts, yes. If you are talking about linguistic structures... I don't know much about that. :-D I guess it also depends on your theoretical/political/disciplinary allegiances which would determine how the question is framed and why. The question determines the answer.*

*OMG is this about language?!

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Similarly, in Quebec French, the only swear words are religious in nature:

Tabernac!
Hostie!
Calisse!
Some Italian swearwords come to mind, but I don't think it would be a good idea to quote them. Suffice to say, they're good at bestemmiare.

Opus018

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Well, I speak Spanish, French, and English. I grew up speaking Spanish and English. Everytime i speak from one language to another, my voice change. It's really overwhelming to change from one culture to another, When i speak English, i speak the language of the United States, i grew up to speak English with confidence. I grew up speaking Spanish from my family in Puerto Rico, and i was tough to speak with pride. When i decided to take French as my third language, i spoke French with sincerity. It's amazing to see how languages evolve but i don't agree with the sub categorization of a language to a specific culture. For example in France, The French make a difference between the English spoken in Great Britain and the English in the US, which i perfectly understand but If i were to say that i am from the US, most of the time they will respond saying (in French) "Alors tu parles Américain'' " so you speak American''. I say, no i speak English because i don't believe that the way i speak makes a factor, inwhich i wont be understood in England or Australia. It doesn't matter whether you are coming from the U.S, Australia, or South Africa , English should not broken in to different cultures because that is what makes the language so powerful, that it was gone fare. If you are American, you speak English, if you are South African, you speak English. The same goes with the other languages like French, If you are Québécois, you speak French and just as good as a Parisian. As a linguistic student, i am against this sub categorization just because the culture and language just evolved. I honest find it ludicrous

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis is as good as Freud; by which I mean I am very respectful but don't think it's correct by modern standards.

Learning German grammar doesn't make you philosophical or musical; learning French grammar doesn't teach your brain architecture or math; learning English doesn't make you good at business or colonialism. Language does not have a strong, direct impact on thought or culture. Sapir-Whorf is wrong.

But if you study any of these at length, to the point of fluency (requiring years of practice and social interaction) you will be exposed to the culture in question, and it will change you, and make you grow. Sapir-Whorf is right again.

Most important of all, if you grow up knowing only one culture, and then learn another, something in your mind grows, and not by a factor of two or three, or the number of languages you know, but tenfold, a thousandfold. You lose the rigidity you started out with, and see the world more as it is.

The frog that lives in a well will never know the sea.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I like the comparison of Sapir-Worf and Freud- it seems very apt.

Status
Not open for further replies.