instead or therefore? concerns for two meanings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In the following, the answer is 1, but can "therefore" make sense? I think maybe instead is more proper but "therefore" also make some sense.

Also, there're two concerns, I think concern with = "related to", concern about = "worry about", so do the two concerns all mean worry even if the former is followed by for? Why didn't it say concerns about fun? Or does it mean interest about fun?

ex)...As a member of the Teen Council, I had to speak to the Community Council to support building an ice skating rink in our community.
The audience was made up of many parents and some young people, most of whom I knew. I did not focus on my friends' concerns for fun. ____A__, I talked to the people who would make the decisions- the parents. To address their concerns about safety, I discussed the security that comes from knowing where a child is, the presence of a professional rink staff, and the careful selection of rules for using the rink safely. ___B______, I explained that the price of admission will be relatively low, as will the rental and maintenance fees. The result exceeded my expectation. Everybody agreed.

)A: instead B: In addition
2)A: Therefore B: In addition

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it means that the person focused more on the parent's concerns (security) and less on their friends' interest in having fun, so instead works better. I can see your idea about therefore, but as their concern does't come until a sentence later, it does't work for me.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think it means that the person focused more on the parent's concerns (security) and less on their friends' interest in having fun, so instead works better. I can see your idea about therefore, but as their concern does't come until a sentence later, it does't work for me.

Thanks a lot!
I have less feeling for "Therefore", but I'm trying to confirm it. The dictionary says "therefore" is used for a logical result. You seem to say if parents' concerns come in the next sentence, it will make sense, but even without parents' concerns, it seems to make a little sense. I'm not sure.

What about the two concerns? Is the parent's concerns worry while friends' concern interest or are the two same?

Status
Not open for further replies.