Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have a problem with seemingly no solution. I attend grammar school and our teacher says that GOING TO GO and GOING TO COME is not grammatically correct. However according to him it is used. So I am quite confused because on the internet I found some sources where GOING TO GO is claimed to be correct. I have also discussed this with plenty of other teachers but the answers are very different. So they are in textbooks and other materials. So please can somebody finally tell me the truth about this grammar.

Thank you in advance

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Some people feel that 'going to go' and 'going to come' are not particularly elegant constructions. They are entitled to their opinions, and if they choose not to use them, fine. However, they are grammatically acceptable full stop (or period)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'I'm going to go away for a few days.'

'He's going to come home from Iraq soon.'

If somebody wants to tell me those examples are ungrammatical I'd be interested to hear their reasoning.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If somebody wants to tell me those examples are ungrammatical I'd be interested to hear their reasoning.
Too slow. Again!

tom3m

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'I'm going to go away for a few days.'

'He's going to come home from Iraq soon.'

Rover
His reason is that he has lived in Great Britain for 5 years and the second reason is : "It's English." which is very revealing. :roll:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
His reason is that he has lived in Great Britain for 5 years and the second reason is : "It's English." which is very revealing. :roll:
I'm sorry, but I don't follow.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I think this 'he' is not Rover, but the alleged teacher.

But tom3m's question defines itself as unanswerable:

I have also discussed this with plenty of other teachers but the answers are very different. So they are in textbooks and other materials. So please can somebody finally tell me the truth about this grammar.

That is, there are conflicting opinions out there.Why should an answer here do any more than add to the conflict :?:

I agree with 5jj and Rover. We're confident that we're right. Those two assertions of your teachers are inconsequential, unconvincing, irrelevant, fatuous, and laughable. He's just wrong.

But I don't see why that would make any difference to you! :)

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Those two assertions of your teachers are inconsequential, unconvincing, irrelevant, fatuous, and laughable. He's just wrong.
I think that sums it up quite well.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think your teacher may have turned a recommendation into a rule- some people think that the repetition in going to go makes it a clumsy phrase that can be shortened, but it is both grammatically correct and used by speakers. I have seen people recommend shortening the form, but for going to go and not for going to come.

As a counterargument, the dissenting posters in this thread will add up to over a century of living in Britain, so you can do the math. ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
the dissenting posters in this thread will add up to over a century of living in Britain, so you can do the math.
I know that I am not as young as I used to be, but there's no need to rub it in.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I know that I am not as young as I used to be, but there's no need to rub it in.

I thought that I was erring on the side of politeness and delicacy, as you're not the only one who's not-as. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.