Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Hi !

I'm writing an e-mail to some of my university teachers and I don't know what to begin with, since there are both men and women... I thought that "Dear Sirs and Madams," might be okay, but I read somewhere on this forum that it was "horrible" so... I don't know what to do.

"Ladies and gentlemen" seems a bit too "look at my show" (?) and putting all their names would be awful, "dear teachers" seems a bit too familiar, however I'm not sure about this since obviously I'm not an native English speaker...

Thank you !

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Dear Sirs and Mesdames was once the accepted formal salutation. (We got mesdames from your language, Kirjava, and welcome to the board.)

Unless the rest of your email is similarly so formal, Ladies and Gentlemen sounds OK to me.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It doesn't take much longer to send each one a separate email, with the same content. You could then address each by name, which always gives a better impression.

Kirjava

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your answers, and ... that might be an idea to send it into separate mails, but... I'd prefer if they could know I send it to a group of teachers (because of the content of the mail, nothing offensive, but I don't want to look like a stalker, or anything... )

If one of you has five minutes, could you proofread my mail by Private Messages ? [if it is possible on this forum ?]

Anyway, thank you a lot !

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd prefer if they could know I send it to a group of teachers (because of the content of the mail, nothing offensive, but I don't want to look like a stalker, or anything... )You could always write: I am writing to you and my other teachers to ask...

If one of you has five minutes, could you proofread my mail by Private Messages ? [if it is possible on this forum ?]Why not post it here? -Editing & Writing Topics

Kirjava

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Thank your for your answer and... because I'm not familiar with this forum, so I simply hadn't thought I could. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.