Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

Are there words in English that begins with the /ʒ/ sound? All I have found is /dʒ/ sound, and it seems to me that there is no /ʒ/ at the begining.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Thanks a lot.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
genre can be pronounced with /ʒ/

Last edited:

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear all,

Are there words in English that begins with the /ʒ/ sound? All I have found is /dʒ/ sound, and it seems to me that there is no /ʒ/ at the begining.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Thanks a lot.
I am not a teacher.

English has some French words and terms in it that have retained their French pronunciation to some extent. "Mot juste" is one, and the "juste" starts that way. Zsa Zsa Gabor, too. I can't think of any regular English word that begins with that sound.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I can't think of any regular English word that begins with that sound.
I don't think there are any. The only other reasonably common word I can think of from French is gigolo. I did find gigue, a lively piece of music, and jabot, a frill on the front of a shirt, but these are not very common.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
From French we also have "au jus".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think there are any [CFL: 'regular English word']. The only other reasonably common word I can think of from French is gigolo. I did find gigue, a lively piece of music, and jabot, a frill on the front of a shirt, but these are not very common.

It depends what you mean by 'English word'. We've already had 'genre'. (I know that's French, but where do you draw the line? If you define 'regular' as 'conforming to the rules' [regula = 'rule] then what...? But it remains true that if you did a Wug test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia with nonsense words starting with a g or a j you'd never hear a /ð/ - or at least very rarely {if the nonsense word looked as though it might be foreign ;-)})

b

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It depends what you mean by 'English word'. We've already had 'genre'. (I know that's French, but where do you draw the line? If you define 'regular' as 'conforming to the rules' [regula = 'rule] then what...? But it remains true that if you did a Wug test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia with nonsense words starting with a g or a j you'd never hear a /ð/ - or at least very rarely {if the nonsense word looked as though it might be foreign ;-)})

b
I am not a teacher, nor am I a linguist.

OK, "regular" isn't cutting it---I was shooting from the hip. How about "fully anglicized"? I pronounce nyota's "genre" with the soft "j", and that is fully anglicized. The others, like "gigolo" get the hard "j" from me.

madziekD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
hey! I've got a question. few weeks ago I had had a test in English phonetics and phonology, I was asked about "ʒ" distibution and had no idea what to say, I tried to find some info on Internet but I failed and haven't found anything. :(

madziekD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
is it
Free variation

Complementary distribution

Contrastive distribution

and why
(I continued researching, found this ;)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The /dʒ/ and/ʒ/ sounds at the end of garage are said to be in free variation. Either can be used with no change of meaning.
The 'dark /l/' at the end of pill and the 'clear /l/' at the beginning of 'lip' are in complementary distribution in my dialect. We recognise the two as being one phoneme, but native speakers will never use one allophone where the other is natural - even if they are not aware that they are using different allophones.

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
hey! I've got a question. few weeks ago I had had a test in English phonetics and phonology, I was asked about "ʒ" distibution and had no idea what to say, I tried to find some info on Internet but I failed and haven't found anything. :(
I studied Phonetics and Phonology some years ago, and I think that the question refers to the position of the sound /ʒ/. (I might be wrong)

Gimson gives detailed information about it.

"word-initial _ (in French loan words) gigolo, gigue, jabot, genre

word-medial _ pleasure, leisure, usual, confusion, decision

word-final _ (only in French loan words; an alternative pronunciation with /dʒ/ is possible) _ prestige, barrage, rouge, beige, garage

in word-initial clusters _ does not occur

in word-final clusters _ /ʒn(z)/ vision(s), in French words, when said with final /ʒ/, the cluster /ʒd/ is possible, e.g. camouflaged. Moreover for those who use final /ʒ/, rather than /dʒ/, after /n/, e.g. in arrange (d), the clusters /nʒ(d)/ may occur."

I also found this.

Status
Not open for further replies.