Which sentence is grammatically correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter64

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Which of these sentences is grammatically correct and why?

1) Electricals 4 Africa is a non profit making organisation who refurbishes your unwanted electricals and distributes them to developing communities across Africa.

2) Electricals 4 Africa is a non profit making organisation who refurbish your unwanted electricals and distribute them to developing communities across Africa.

3) Electricals 4 Africa is a non profit making organisation refurbishing your unwanted electricals and distributing them to developing communities across Africa.

I really appreciate your help with this as it is driving me mad!

Thanks Peter

eilhart

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Third one is correct.

First one isn't correct because "that/which" should have been used instead of "who". Second one isn't correct because Electricals 4 Africa is a collective noun that requires singular verb.

In the third sentence relative clause is reduced to -ing participle. (organisation that/which refurbishes--->>organisation refurbishing)

P.S. I'm not a teacher, yet. I'm studying to be one.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As a speaker of BrE, I disagree slightly with eilhart
1) Electricals 4 Africa is a non profit making organisation who refurbishes your unwanted electricals and distributes them to developing communities across Africa.
I, personally, would prefer 'which' to 'who'. 'That' is an acceptable alternative, but is not required.

2) Electricals 4 Africa is a non profit making organisation who refurbish your unwanted electricals and distribute them to developing communities across Africa.
Once again I prefer 'which' to 'who'. I feel that, with your use of the singular 'is', the plural 'refurbish' is inappropriate

3) Electricals 4 Africa is a non profit making organisation refurbishing your unwanted electricals and distributing them to developing communities across Africa.
Fine.

eilhart

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
As a speaker of BrE, I disagree slightly with eilhart
I also would prefer "which" over "that" in above sentences but in one of my grammar books it is stated "that" is generally preferred to "which" while "who" is chosen over "that". I don't know why. Maybe it's an American English thing. The book's author is Betty Schrampfer Azar. She is American.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I also would prefer "which" over "that" in above sentences but in one of my grammar books it is stated "that" is generally preferred to "which" while "who" is chosen over "that". I don't know why. Maybe it's an American English thing. The book's author is Betty Schrampfer Azar. She is American.
In defining relative clauses, 'that' is preferred by many speakers of AmE and some speakers of BrE. There is no absolute right or wrong word here.

Status
Not open for further replies.