Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi all,
I can't find a reference for this and could do with some help. What part of speech is the word 'for' when used with the infinitive, for example in the sentence "It's one of those gadgets for finding out where you are"?

Instinct suggests it is a preposition, but it seems a little strange. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,
Bruce

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,
I can't find a reference for this and could do with some help. What part of speech is the word 'for' when used with the infinitive, for example in the sentence "It's one of those gadgets for finding out where you are"?

Instinct suggests it is a preposition, but it seems a little strange. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,
Bruce

"For" is a preposition here. What comes after it is a gerund, not an infinitive.

"For" could be a preposition or a conjunction. Here it is not a conjunction obviously.

Brucec

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"For" is a preposition here. What comes after it is a gerund, not an infinitive.

"For" could be a preposition or a conjunction. Here it is not a conjunction obviously.

Many thanks Khosro.
Of course it isn't the infinitive, I don't know what I was thinking!

Anyway, yes, I guess it has to be a preposition doesn't it, followed as it is by the -ing form.

Thanks again,
Bruce

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You're welcome.