Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I've got myself used to using "with" as wiθ but on tv or the internet I hear it mostly as wið. According to some dictionaries that I've consulted to, only the version with the voiceless th is correct. So I wonder if it is a BrE/AE thing or it changes from one person to other. I particularly welcome the answers of the members who are from different English-speaking countries, although it is not a must.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
John Wells's polls among native speakers showed:
AmE: θ - 84%, ð - 16%;
BrE: ð - 85%, θ - 15% (though in Scotland this rises to 82%)

Wells, John(2008) Longman Pronunciation Dictionary (3rd edn), Harlow: PearsonLongman.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

Wells, John(2008) Longman Pronunciation Dictionary (3rd edn), Harlow: PearsonLongman.

I couldn't have expected something more precise than this one. Thank you very much.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

...And what (if anything) does he say about 'without' and 'forthwith'/'withstand'/'notwithstanding? (Personally, I'd have difficulty saying /θ/ in the first or /ð/ in any of the others.)

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
...And what (if anything) does he say about 'without' and 'forthwith'/'withstand'/'notwithstanding? (Personally, I'd have difficulty saying /θ/ in the first or /ð/ in any of the others.)
Buy your own copy!............;-)

He doesn't give poll figures, but gives /ð/ as the first, /θ/ as the second in withal, withdraw, withhold, within, without, withstand, and notwithstanding; He reverses the order for the second th in forthwith. He makes no mention of AmE for any of these.

Roach et al give both for with, noting 'The pronunciation with θ is most frequently found when followed by a voiceless consonant (e.g. 'with care)'.

They give: withal (ð), within, without (ð, BrE, ð,θ, AmE), withdraw, withhold (ð,θ), withstand (ð,θ, BrE; θ,ð, AmE), notwithstanding, forthwith (θ,ð)

Roach, Peter, Hartman, James & Setter, Jane (2003 edn*) Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary, Cambridge: CUP
*This edition is the 16th edition of Daniel Jones's English Pronouncing Dictionary, the second to be edited by Roach et al.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I don't think I ever heard wi[θ]out! :shock:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't think I have, but it's always possible that some speakers have said 'wi[θ]out', and I have assumed that I have heard 'wi[ð]out'.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You haven't lived. ;-) My first headmaster (a Scot I think, anyway his name - McCaffery - suggested origins somewhere in the Celtic fringe) used it. But it's not common in my experience.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.