Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Let's say that you started talking and already uttered a "the" but you couldn't pick the right word in your mind to continue with and that word could be a word starting with a vowel or a consonant. So which one would you be using; ði or ðə? The same thing may occur when "the" coincides at the end of a line and say, the word follows it is still not in your sight, how would you say it? I'd especially like our native-speaker members to contribute my thread and help me figure out the correct usage of this article.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We may just go ahead with the 'incorrect form, or we may correct ourselves. In everyday speech we rarely have time to plan what we are saying, and nobody worries about it. The following example, very messy in the written form, is typical of what can happen in speech:

We, that is me and the (ðə) bo.. er.. the (ðə) acting boss was, well, I was asking the (ðə) the (ði) American whtdyecallim about it, I mean them, and the (ði) the (ðə) er he says...

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Euncu:

This is not exactly right on point, but there is a trend among younger speakers in North America to forgo ði entirely. One of my daughters always uses ðə even when the next word begins with a vowel, and she's far from alone. My ear recoils from it and I'd like to say it is regrettable, but I won't for fear of getting my knuckles rapped. ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can find that in the UK too.

Status
Not open for further replies.