Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear friends,

In the following sentenses, do you think the word 'read' should be present tense or past tense? Thank you!

I didn't use to eat breakfast, but now I always have something to eat because I read that students who eat breakfast in the morning do better in school.

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you leave it as it is, the reader can take it either way - perfect solution!

However, an English reader would automatically, and rightly, understand it as written in the past tense. This is because you've already changed to eating breakfast every day, so the original reading will have been earlier and will therefore be expressed in the past. Simple.:-D

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If you leave it as it is, the reader can take it either way - perfect solution!

However, an English reader would automatically, and rightly, understand it as written in the past tense. This is because you've already changed to eating breakfast every day, so the original reading will have been earlier and will therefore be expressed in the past. Simple.:-D
Thank you, Dude, for giving me not only the answer but also the reason. Thanks!:lol:

I also have a question about this sentense. 'I didn't use to eat breakfast' and 'I didn't used to eat breakfast', which is more common in writing? Thank you!

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As you do with other verbs when you have a form of "to do," you need the bare infinitive "use" with "didn't."

I used to. I didn't use to.

It's impossible to hear the difference in speech.

(There is quite a bit of discussion on this topic. Some say that "didn't use to" is simply incorrect. That doesn't match current usage.)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To my ear "I never used to" was the only correct form.

Up to now I had considered "I didn't use to" or "used to" the expressions of non-native speakers. But I'm always glad to learn.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Here is one discussion: grammar

Status