Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
can you tell me the diffrence between resolution of, resolution to and resolution on, as in the following sentences:
- Both countries called for the peaceful resolution of the border dispute.
- Diplomats are hoping for a speedy resolution to the crisis.
- A resolution on Ukrainian independence was adopted by the Supreme Soviet.
many thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

- A resolution on Ukrainian independence was adopted by the Supreme Soviet.[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

[/FONT]
There is no difference between 'of' and 'to' in my opinion. In your first two sentences, 'resolution' means 'solution, answer'.
In the third sentence, resolution means 'statement of opinion/decision/intent'. 'On' is correct, but 'about' is possible.

Last edited:

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
- A resolution on Ukrainian independence was adopted by the Supreme Soviet.[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT] There is no difference between 'of' and 'to' in my opinion. In your first two sentences, 'resolution' means 'solution, answer'.
In the third sentence, resolution means 'statement of opinion/decision/intent'. 'On' is correct, but 'about' is possible.

Though fivejedjon is quite right about it, I think that there is a reason why "to" is used in the second sentence. "speedy" as an adjective for resolution might make it more suitable to use "to" instead of "of". "to" implies a sense of direction which is appropriate for "speedy".

Status
Not open for further replies.