• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

the, for

1.Let's get back on track or else we'll have to go on all night.
    Should we add "the" before "track"?
    2.Things were clicking for me then.
    Because we say "The film's clicked with yong people."should we use "with" instead of "for" in 2.
    Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: the, for

I am not a teacher, please correct me if I am wrong.
    If you add "the" before track, it will sound like the actual track field, so you shouldn't add "the", unless you are talking about the running field. (This is based on my institutions, I'm not 100% sure. I think it has something to do about the definite article.)

I don't really understand the 2nd question. When you use "with", it means that it is accompanying something. When you use "for", it means to do something for something. Eg. I play the violin for the school choir, Jack sang with me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

(Kazewolf, good try, but it's not a running track here.)

1. If you're walking in the woods and you've left the marked path, you would say 'Let's get back on the track . . .'

If you're having a discussion and have wandered off the subject, then you say 'Let's get back on track . . .'

2. You seem a bit fixated about click, notletrest. It's really not that common.

In this case say '. . . clicked with', though it's not an expression the young people themselves would use.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    (Kazewolf, good try, but it's not a running track here.)

1. If you're walking in the woods and you've left the marked path, you would say 'Let's get back on the track . . .'

If you're having a discussion and have wandered off the subject, then you say 'Let's get back on track . . .'

2. You seem a bit fixated about click, notletrest. It's really not that common.

In this case say '. . . clicked with', though it's not an expression the young people themselves would use.

Rover
    As for 2. I am sorry , I don't understand you clearly. Would you like to explain it in more detail? Sorry to trouble you.Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    As for 2. I am sorry , I don't understand you clearly. Would you like to explain it in more detail? Sorry to trouble you.Thanks.
    This is the second time you've asked about this meaning of click, which is only rarely used by native speakers and I venture to suggest never used by young people themselves.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    This is the second time you've asked about this meaning of click, which is only rarely used by native speakers and I venture to suggest never used by young people themselves.

Rover
    Thank you , I see.