Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hi, there.
Would that be right if I replaced to with from in the example below?
I've lost the key to my room.
If so, then is there any difference between these two usages?
Thanks for your reply.

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It depends on what you mean.

The key to your room is the key which operates the lock on the door of your room.

The key from your room is a different key, one that doesn't work on that door, which you left in your room and now can't find. Perhaps it was your car key.

Hope that's clear. ;-)

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Absolutely clear.
I come to the fact that I have used that in a wrong way.
Until now ;-)
Thank you!

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
The key from your room is a different key, one that doesn't work on that door, which you left in your room and now can't find. Perhaps it was your car key.

That key could also be the key to your room, in my opinion. The only difference that I can spot between those key phrases is exactly what you already mentioned, The Dude - key to (not from) your room is the key operating the lock on the door of your room. :up:

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would always refer to the key that works the lock on my room as 'the key to my room'. Even if I'd lost it from my room, I'd still call it the key to my room, or my room-key.

In the sentence 'I've lost the key from my room', that key must already have been identified in earlier conversation as a car key, house key or whatever. That's the only way it can then be referred to as 'the' key. This situation sounds pretty unlikely to me, however.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
It depends on what you mean.

The key to your room is the key which operates the lock on the door of your room.

Hope that's clear. ;-)

Please let me ask an off-side question with the "from". Can we replace it by "in" without changing the meaning like "I've lost the key in my room"?
Thank you so much!

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
I would always refer to the key that works the lock on my room as 'the key to my room'. Even if I'd lost it from my room, I'd still call it the key to my room, or my room-key.

:up: Couldn't agree more.

Please let me ask an off-side question with the "from". Can we replace it by "in" without changing the meaning like "I've lost the key in my room"?
Thank you so much!

That sentence changes the meaning entirely. The key in question had been put somewhere in your room. When you needed it again, you realised that it wasn't in there any more. So you might say that you've lost the key in your room (you are sure that the last time you had it, it was in your room, and nowhere else). Personally, in such a situation I'd say I('ve) mislaid the key (somewhere) in my room.

I've lost the key from my room - the key in question could be the key to your room, the key to your car or whichever key you were after in a particular situation. One thing is for sure - the key was last seen in your room, but you might have lost it somewhere else in the house, not necessarily in your room.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I wanna post some ideas of mine here on "the key"!
When we use "the key to the room", it is surely the key used to open the door of the room. (room-key).
Whenever we use "the key" only (without any modification), it can be any kind of key such as car key, room key, fridge key... no matter which article among "from" and "in" we use.
After reading your post, I may understand the difference. I would suggest the following context:
A: Do you have the key to the room on you?
B: No, I've lost it in my room. (means that it's still somewhere in my room but I've not found it).
Or No, I've lost it from my room.(means that I laid it in my room but for somehow It's not in my room now and I've scanned all my room to find it but it's really out of my room, maybe someone has taken it away).
I think in "the key to my room", "to my room" modifies the key. But in "... lost the key from/in my room", the "from/in my room" modifies the verb "lost" not the object "the key". Maybe that's one of the differences.
That's my own ideas. Please give me your comments!
Thank you so much!

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
I wanna post some ideas of mine here on "the key"!
When we use "the key to the room", it is surely the key used to open the door of the room. (room-key). :up: Precisely
Whenever we use "the key" only (without any modification), it can be any kind of key such as car key, room key, fridge key... no matter which article among "from" and "in" we use. ...it can be any kind of key already defined (through the use of the definite article the) such as car key, room key, fridge key
After reading your post, I may understand the difference. I would suggest the following context:
A: Do you have the key to the room on you?
B: No, I've lost it in my room. (means that it's still somewhere in my room but I've not found it). :up: Precisely
Or No, I've lost it from my room.(means that I laid it in my room but for somehow It's not in my room now and I've scanned all my room to find it but it's really out of my room, maybe someone has taken it away). Yes, that'd be a fine explanation, but you'd normally just say No, I've lost it.
I think in "the key to my room", "to my room" modifies the key. But in "... lost the key from/in my room", the "from/in my room" modifies the verb "lost" not the object "the key". Maybe that's one of the differences. That could be true.
That's my own ideas. Please give me your comments!
Thank you so much!
:-D

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think in "the key to my room", "to my room" modifies the key. But in "... lost the key from/in my room", the "from/in my room" modifies the verb "lost" not the object "the key". Maybe that's one of the differences.

You've hit the nail on the head. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.