[Grammar] Is this a grammatically correct sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid1992

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Which of the two sentence is more appropriate and grammatically correct - 'I could have been more like you only if my dad had provided me with more protection' or 'I could have been more like you only if my dad would have provided me with more protection' if I want to say that wish to be like you and I could have been like you if my dad had provided me with more protection.

However, if both my sentences are wrong then please give me a suitable and grammatically correct sentence with which I can convey what I want to.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Which of the two sentence is more appropriate and grammatically correct - 'I could have been more like you only if my dad had provided me with more protection' or 'I could have been more like you only if my dad would have provided me with more protection' if I want to say that wish to be like you and I could have been like you if my dad had provided me with more protection.

However, if both my sentences are wrong then please give me a suitable and grammatically correct sentence with which I can convey what I want to.
Welcome to the forums.
I don't much like either of your options, try: "I could have been more like you if (only) my dad had given me more protection".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Or even, "... had protected me more."

There's no need for the "would have" version; it's needless wordy without adding anything of value to the sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.